solder weld near polybutylene pipe: bad idea?

Old 05-06-08, 08:19 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
solder weld near polybutylene pipe: bad idea?

Hi,

I'm replacing the faucet on the jacuzzi tub in my bathroom. The current and new fixture are to be solder welded into place, but the pipes in my home are polybutylene and I'm kind of afraid to get a torch too close to them. I'm not worried about torching the pipes directly; I'm concerned that the heat of the weld will melt where the copper leads meet the PB and leave me with a leak.

What's the right way to do this?

Thanks,
-Doug

Old 05-07-08, 03:56 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Doug: Not sure what you are talking about "solder welded" into place. What are you welding them to? I would be wary also regarding the fiberglas as well as the pb pipes. You can unhook the pb, but solder/welding close to fiberglas may not be a good idea.

Old 05-07-08, 04:01 AM
J
Are you sure it is PB, that stuff was sued to death due to leaks. But there are transition screw type fittings for joining plastic and mettallic pipes. Solder a screw fitting on the copper, and use a plastic union to join them.

Old 05-07-08, 07:55 PM
D
Yep, it's PB. The stuff is sued to death via class action, but as I understand it you only get a payout when your pipes start leaking and you can show damage. Thus far it's been okay in my home.

The PB is crimped on to a copper lead that runs to the current faucet. I've decided that the easiest way to handle this is to cut the copper lead and use a compression fitting to connect it to the copper on the new faucet. The only catch is that the current faucet is 3/8ths and the new one is 1/2, so I'll have to use a reducer fitting.

Any reason that shouldn't work?

Thanks,
-Doug

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: