Relocating Hot Water Heater

Old 05-15-08, 04:52 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Relocating Hot Water Heater

My hot water heater has started to leak, and I need to replace it very soon (this weekend). Currently I have a 60 gal electric heater, and am considering upgrading to a 80 gal (3 girls in the house) and the cost difference is not that much. Since I have to get into this anyway, I would like to relocate the water heater to my basement (currently it is on the first floor, in the mud room). I have easy access to the cold water coming in, and also to many hot water pipes, including the one that currently comes from the current heater. Is there any concern with tapping into the hot water line in a different location. My plan was to T-off the cold supply and then T-into one of the hot water lines (3/4" pipe), then cap off the hot / cold water lines where the heater is currently installed. Is there any requirement where in the system the heater has to be installed? Any help is appriciated.

Thanks
Steve

Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-08, 05:09 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Nope, you should be fine. If you have a choice the best location is where the most hot water is used.

Get some insulation for those hot water pipes. Try to get the thicker wall material.