Dishwasher draining through drain air gap

Old 05-17-08, 04:33 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Dishwasher draining through drain air gap

When our dishwasher drains, water comes pouring out of the drain air gap opening every time. Is this normal?

I thought the water was only supposed to drain out of the drain air gap opening as a backup in case the normal drainage path of disposer to sink drain pipe wasn't working.

The URL for the installation manual for our dishwasher is below. See Figure 7(b), "Sink at Right" for the way our drain is set up.
[IMG]ftp://ftp.electrolux-na.com/ProdInfo_PDF/Kinston/154427301a.pdf[/IMG]

If this is not supposed to happen on a regular basis, any thoughts on how to fix this so the water does drain through the disposer/sink drain pipe?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide!

Old 05-17-08, 11:00 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
No, this is far from normal. Did you connect the dishwasher discharge to the smaller connection on the air gap and the larger connection to the disposal? Did you remove the rubber plug in the disposal before connecting the hose from the air gap?

Have you inspected both the hose from the air gap to the disposal and the disposal itself for any blockage?

Old 05-18-08, 02:25 PM
T
Hi furd,
Thank you for your reply. The dishwashwer was actually set up this way when we moved in and we haven't yet changed anything.

I can see that the dishwasher is connected to the smaller connection and the disposal to the larger connection, so that doesn't appear to be the cause of the problem.

I'm guessing that the only way to check that the rubber disposal plug has been removed is to take off the hose connecting the disposal to the air gap, is that correct?

I haven't yet checked the hose or disposal for blockages, but will give that a try.

Old 05-18-08, 02:56 PM
When the DW is pumping out, you can look down into the disposer and see water pouring in. ( Don't put your hand in!). We know yours is not working great, but can you see any water at all going into the disposer? If not, that would be a good sign that the plug was not removed. If you see some water dribbling in, then you have a kink or internal obstruction in the hose.

Fairly easy to take the hose connection off the disposer and check these things. If the plug is still there, use a screwdriver and small hammer to punch it in. It is plastic, and it is ok to leave the plug and let the disposer chop it up.

Was the disposer recently replaced, just before this problem appeared?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: