Cracked Sink Drain Extension

Old 05-18-08, 08:29 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Cracked Sink Drain Extension

I'm trying to install a utility sink. When I removed the old sink the Drain Extension was rotted and cracked. I want to fix this myself to learn how to do it. I've attached the pictures of what I'm dealing with. How do I fix this?

Michael

Old 05-18-08, 08:42 AM
S
Well your situation's difficulty is going to be largely dependant on the condition of the items within the wall.I can see through that hole in I assume drywall the standard 1 1/2" x 1 1/4" slip joint nut which should be screwed onto a peice of 1 1/2" likely galvanized pipe.If you are lucky you can screw this nut off,which is what holds the extension tube into the peice of galv,and pull the ext out.Then you'd just replace the ext and use a new nut and washer to reattach it to the galv pipe.That's if you're lucky BUT if the nut breaks apart,if the pipe is rusted out,and so forth then it's a whole different ballgame and it just depends on exactly how bad or good things are and the exact set up of the pipe within the wall.For example if the galv nipple screws into a fitting near the wall you might get it out and replace it fairly easily but if it's well into the wall or something like that it may be more difficult.

Old 05-18-08, 08:53 AM
M
RE: Cracked Sink Drain Extension

I'm probably better off cutting out the sheetrock and then making an assessment from there. OK, I'll do that first and see where I'm at. Thank you. That really helps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: