installation of fernco coupling

Old 05-19-08, 06:11 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
installation of fernco coupling

Hello all, I am installing a fernco coupling to join two 3 inch pvc sewer pipes. I bought a 3 inch coupling and it seems almost impossible to slip it on the 3 inch pipe. Is there a "trick" to make the coupling slip onto the pipe easier. I tried wetting the pipe and coupling with water and that helped very little. I have to install this fitting on an existing pipe in a ditch and there is no way that the coupling will slip on the pipe without some kind of lubricant.. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated... john

Old 05-19-08, 06:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Make sure the coupling is for the correct type of pipe (cast iron, clay, pvc, etc), and a bit of dishwashing liquid on the pipe (not the fernco, or you can't grab it) makes a huge difference.

Old 05-19-08, 07:58 PM
Good advice given. I also use a hammer to gently pound it into position.

Old 05-20-08, 07:25 AM
C
Received 139 Votes on 112 Posts
Don't be offended, but I'll ask if the hose clamps are fully backed off the coupling. Also make sure the edges of the pipe aren't flared or burred.
If it's really stubborn a liberal smearing of silicon O-ring lubricant will do the job. So will K-Y. Put it on both the coupling and the pipe.

Old 05-20-08, 02:55 PM
If you are still having problems, maybe you should change from a fenco to a mission clamp. It is easier to slide on and you can peel back the rubber to make it even easier if needed. Then slide the clamp on, or undo it and put it around pipe after the rubber is installed. It is also a much better clamp if you can use it because it has a stainless steel metal band with 2 clamps to hold the pipe more secure and will also support the pipe. A fernco can sag if not properly backfilled and can cause a lip which you get backups from.

Old 05-20-08, 05:44 PM
J
Thanks all for the great information. The "fernco" fitting that I was trying to use was a 3 inch from Lowes. Well come to find out it was much smaller than the 3 inch fitting that I later bought from my local plumbing supply store. The "real" fernco from the plumbing supply worked like a charm. I did use a small amount of Joy dish washing liquid and it did make the job much easier. The Lowes fitting looked exactly like the real fernco but believe me there was no way that sucker was going to fit on my 3" pvc pipe..I think in the future I'll buy my plumbing supplies from my plumbing supply store... Thanks again,, john

Old 05-21-08, 09:01 AM
C
John - You lost me! Why would a Fernco from Lowes be any different than a Fernco from a plumbing supply house?

Old 05-21-08, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator
I was kinda wondering the same thing. Had to be diff model numbers. Sometimes what's in the box at the Box store, is not what the box says. Not everyone puts things where they belong. Always check the tags.

Old 05-21-08, 02:03 PM
C
How many times have you reached into a fastener or fitting bin at a big box only to pull out 3 different sizes? I got burned a couple of times before I got smart enough to check.

Old 05-21-08, 05:32 PM
J
Sorry what I meant to say was the Lowes fernco was not actually manufactured by fernco , it just looked exactly like a real fernco. The fitting was clearly marked for 3 inch pipe but when I held it next to the 3 inch fitting manufactured by fernco it was obviously smaller.. I'm not sure why the Lowes fitting was too small, maybe just a defective fitting... Again thanks for all the comments. john

Old 05-21-08, 05:41 PM
Super Moderator
Thanks for lettin us know John. Another lesson learned.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: