Washing Machine P-Trap

Old 06-02-08, 06:47 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Washing Machine P-Trap

I'm having some issues getting a p-trap into my wall for my washing machine. My studs are 16" on center. The washing machine utility box has the drain roughly in the center. I've dry fitted what's in the picture, and it's the best I can come up with, but it seems like there should be a cleaner way. Any ideas?

Old 06-02-08, 07:09 PM
Well, Stop the presses !!!

The design you have right now is totally against code.

I will get right back to you.

Old 06-04-08, 09:05 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 427 Upvotes on 380 Posts
Originally Posted by plumbingods
The design you have right now is totally against code.
Though the OP is probably interested in what's wrong with it... I'm curious too. Might you be willing to share what's wrong and possibly how to fix?

Old 06-04-08, 03:10 PM
I have no problem sharing, but I had a hard time trying to figure out how to display the correct pictures. I am having a problem with that, so we went to e-mail to solve it. I will try to explain the problems here.

The way it is pictured here, there is no correct venting. The vent shown is not even needed as shown because it will do nothing.
Vents need to be taken between the trap and before the drain goes down/verticle into the floor, and the trap must be no more than 5' away from the vent. So if you look, both the lav and the washer drains go through the trap then turn and go straight down without a vent first. This is typically called an "S" trap. These style traps were used for years(under sinks with chrome) but codes have changes as they have determined the s-trap can be siphoned.
A "P" trap is one that typically goes into the wall after the trap and then either goes up for a vent and down for the drain, or will turn in the wall and go horizontally in the wall for no more than 5' then have a vent going up and the drain can continue horizontally or go vertical at this point.
So in this pic. there should be 2 vents going up in the wall and tying together into 1 either in the wall at least 6" above the highest flood level(in this case the washer standpipe), or go into the cieling and tie into one.

The other problem here is the "TY" or sanitary "Tee" on its back. That is also against code. You must use a Y fitting with a 45* for example.

Hope you could understand this. Maybe someday someone will teach me how to draw a picture and post it in the forum.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: