pressure no pressure

Old 06-04-08, 01:43 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
pressure no pressure

I moved into a house in Putnam county last august we have a well and whole house water filter. The previous owners told us that they changed the filters every two months but for us the most it lasts is three weeks. The last filter I changed didn't even last two weeks. When I change the filter there is lots of pressure but as time goes on it usually starts to slow down. Could there be something wrong with the pipes. I don't know how old the pump is or anything like that. The house was built in 1939. In the winter i had to fix two spots in the pipes and there were small rocks in the pipes could this be the problem and if it is can the pipes be flushed. thanks

Old 06-04-08, 02:58 PM
C
More info, please.

What kind of filter is it? What kind of filter cartridges are you putting in it? How much water (gallons) would you estimate you use each month?

Old 06-05-08, 08:32 AM
C
I'm not sure how many gallons we use each month there is no gage. The filter is a whole house filter. We have been using a standard capacity replacement filter cartridge that is 5 micron nominal. A few months ago we decided to stop using the washing machine to see if that would make a difference and it did not. The filter still only lasted three weeks. We are using the same filters the as the previous owners. We only use the water for showers, the toilet, to do the dishes, and wash our hands. We buy water to drink and cook with. I even buy water for my dogs.

Old 06-05-08, 09:30 AM
C
Originally Posted by curleymonster View Post
We have been using a standard capacity replacement filter cartridge that is 5 micron nominal. We are using the same filters the as the previous owners. We only use the water for showers, the toilet, to do the dishes, and wash our hands. We buy water to drink and cook with. I even buy water for my dogs.
Whole house sediment filters often come in one of either 10-inch or 20-inch size. Do you know if yours is one of these? If it's a 10-inch, a 20-inch might last longer...

My gut thought would be to try going with a more porous 20 micron filter and see if that lasts longer. I'm not sure if letting the smaller particulate through would have unintended consequences for the rest of your home. Another thought would be to try a different manufacturer's filter.

Anyone else care to weigh in here?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: