how do to cut & replace cast iron drain pipe?

Old 12-24-99, 02:44 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

I live in an old house and I have a cast iron elbow in the bathroom floor that broke. I have the pipe exposed but it is in a tight spot. I want to cut it out and go PVC from that point on.

My question is: what do I cut it with, (tool recommendations and blade types??) and are there any gotchas with just using a rubber coupling to join the pvc and iron once I do have it out?

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-24-99, 02:11 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

Im guessing this elbow was serving the
toilet.I have a pair of ratcheting
cutters the will cut cast iron like butter
if the pipe isnt rotton. If you have the
clearance I recommend renting a pair if
possible. They do make blades coated with
diamond dust that fit in a reciprocating
saw that hardly ever work and are time
consuning but sometimes this is what it
takes. And yes a rubber boot is fine or
you can use a pvc no-hub adapter and a
no-hub band to re-connect,this will be
a little more ridgid.If the cast iron
breaks jagged you can use a crescent wrench
(you know ,smooth jaw,adjustable)too snap
off the jagged edges,It works really well.
Need more advice?I'll answer it.Robert

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: