toilet installation on uneven base.

Old 06-17-08, 12:04 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
toilet installation on uneven base.

hello there,

I have just installed a new toilet and I see the toilet base is lifting around 1/4 inch off the ground on front end as the tiling is not perfectly level. I am not sure the previous one lifted as much - but this is as good as I can get now with all adjustments I could make while keeping the rear firmly on the ground. Possibly the base contour is different and is amplifying the surface defect. I am fairly sure there is no left over debries causing this.

I do not have any bad odors or leaks for the past 24 hrs - hope thats some indicator of the wax seal under.

I have currently added ridigity by tapping in wood shims and it seems fairly rigid now.

1) Is this good enough? So I can slip in some weak mortar cement under and caulk it all around?

2) or should I try to readjust the installation and make the gap even through-out.

which one of the above is best for stability and rigidity.

Please advice

thanks in advance.
netlook.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-08, 03:44 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I have already run into a toilet that was cast real bad, and the front end went up in the air like a ski jump, even though the rest was flat on the floor. I put some shims under it and actually there was such a gap (3/8 inch or more to my recollection), that I troweled caulk around the base, with a wider putty knife, by riding the curve of the toilet so that when dry it would look like the toilet was down to the floor, when in actuality, it was really caulk.

Whatever you do, whatever you use, do not make it that you can't easily knife cut the filler and relift the toilet sometime, without cracking the toilet or tiles or lifting tiles.

Old 06-17-08, 05:03 PM
Well this one is a WaterRidge single piece I bought from Costco for 170 bucks...

Its really good and we are very happy with it...

I will may be slip a plastic sheet under before I apply the mortar to separate it from the tiles.