Mysterious dripping noise behind bathroom sink

Old 01-23-00, 12:02 PM
Visiting Guest
Within this past year, there has been this drip, drip noise whenever we run the water (either hot or cold) in the master bathroom sinks. We have double sinks and the drip sounds like it is in between the two sinks. If the pipes are dry, (e.g., first thing in the morning or after work) then it takes at least 20-30 seconds of running water before we hear the noise. It occurs with either sink. This area is against an exterior wall and we have had this area remodelled about 5 years ago (new sinks, new cabinets, toilet, shower). Is there any way, besides punching holes randomly in my cabinet and wall to find this drip? I checked the ceiling below the bathroom and didn't see any water stains. Coincidentally, my husband also has been complaining about a smell in the shower drain. I don't know if this is related or just a coincidence. (I did check the toilet and it didn't rock or feel loose).

Old 01-23-00, 05:43 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Smile

Sounds like you have a small leak in the drain line inside your wall. The easiest way to get to it is just as you said. If your drain is PVC, you may be able to just swab it good with PVC cement at the leak (probably at a fitting) to stop it. As for the shower drain, shine a light down it to see if its holding water in the trap. If the water is siphoning out, you might need to check your vent to see if its plugged.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: