outdoor pipe leak

Old 06-24-08, 04:29 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
outdoor pipe leak

I'm hoping you can help me. I have had a puddle on my lawn for 2 years, i finally dug around it to find a black rubber hose leaking upwards causing my puddle. I found a pipe in the basement that appears to lead to the outside where the hose underground is. I have no idea what it is there for, I have no inground sprinklers, I have sewers not cesspool, but the area used to have cesspools, it is clean water. If I shut my water main off the leaking stops. so I know it's my water. There are no valves to stop the flow in the basement. I imagine the leak was always there, it does not appear to be a relief hose as it's a continuous stream of water, maybe a gallon an hour(total guess).. What should I do with this? Can I seal the hose?? Any suggestions are greatly apprec iated. I really dont want to call a plumber.
Thank you in advance for your suggestion.
Sean

Old 06-24-08, 05:32 PM
S
Old 06-24-08, 05:36 PM
W
You must have used a lot more than 70 gals/person/day. Ask the water company for a little help with your bills, past and present.

Old 06-26-08, 08:28 AM
Z
Received 39 Votes on 38 Posts
Hi seanny66-

Iím not a plumber and am not an expert . However, my well water line broke and I dug it up and replaced it all myself. But thatís another story.

Why couldnít you shut off your water and let the puddle drain down the best you can. Then carefully dig down around the hose for a ways to see what the other end connects to? In other words, since you see a pipe coming out of your basement , but a hose sticking up below the lawn surface as your picture indicates, then it seems to me that there must be some kind of a transition connection somewhere underground from pipe-to-hose?

Maybe you would be able to see what the hose connects to and that would give you (or someone very knowledgeable) an idea of whatís going on or how/if to remove the hose and cap off that water line if appropriate - or something like that. Seems to me you would only have to dig down to the depth of the pipe you see coming out of your basement.

Canít see how carefully digging down a little more could hurt anything or make the job bigger, and it seems to me it would only give you more information.

Just a thought! Good luck!

Old 06-26-08, 04:08 PM
Do you have a garage or barn that may have had water to it at one time? How close is your closest neighbor?

If you cannot find an answer, I would put a ball valve in the line down in the basement. That way, if you find where it goes, you can repair the leak in the ground and turn it back, on if need be. If not, just leave it off, or cut it and cap it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: