Black Water coming out of household plumbing

Old 07-05-08, 09:25 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Black Water coming out of household plumbing

It seems like about every 2-3 months we get brown/grey water out of our household plumbing. We are able to run the water out until it goes away. This morning we woke up to BLACK water and it is starting to get lighter as we run the water.The WATER HEATERS are probably old-they were here before we moved in and the WATER SOFTENER has not been working, but has not been disengaged. Our home is 15 years old and the neighbors are not having this problem. We are on Public water and sewer. A well feeds the water spinklers only.
WHAT IS HAPPENING? HELP

Old 07-05-08, 04:29 PM
You say that you are on city water.
Were you once hooked up to the well?
Why is there a water softener even on the line?
Have you noticed this to happen when anything else noticeable happens, like, did it rain the night before?
Are the pipes still hooked up to the well lines if you were hooked up to it previously?
Have you ever drained down the water heater?

Please reply back with these answers.

Old 07-05-08, 04:52 PM
P
1st response to Plumbingods

Thank you for responding.
1.The water has always been city water. Never hooked to well.
2.The sprinkler system has it own pipe system to a well with a pump.
3.I'm not sure why the original owners installed the system as the neighbors don't feel the need for one. Probably didn't like the chlorine taste of Florida water.
4.Yes we have been having heavy rain everyday and I have noticed this after the prior brown water incidences.
5.We have never drained water heaters.

additional info.- I turned a water valve off on the Softener/ filtration system- which consists of 3 cyclinder units thinking I could by-pass the system. When I went inside to try the water, nothing came out- thus all our water processes through that semi functioning system. I say Semi fucntioning, because when I turned the dial on the clock the rotating back wash, double back wash, add water to brine dial started to turn and then started one of those procedures. I can not tell which though.
Sorry this is so long. I appreciate any help or advice.

Old 07-05-08, 05:37 PM
First off, I would remove the filtration system if not needed. There could possibly be some kind of bacteria in it.
Second, when You remove the existing filtration system, I would install a standard sediment filter with a clear bowl. This way you can see if the water entering your house is clean/clear.
Third, You should turn off the electricity or gas to your water heater, hook a hose to the bottom, and run the hose outside. I would then flush the tank until all the water coming out is clear. After the water is clear, you can stop the hose and refill the tank. DO NOT TURN ON THE ELECTRICITY YET. Open a hot water faucet until all the air stops coming out then turn the electricity back on. Or gas, and light pilot.

These things I have told you to do will eliminate the water filtration and water heater from being suspects.

try this out for a while and see if we solved the problem. And don't forget to change the filter cartridge every once in a while.

Do you have any yard hydrants that you use frequently that are on the house water system?
Something about the rain has me thinking, Hmmmm !

let me know what happens.

Old 07-09-08, 09:31 AM
P
Smile Thank You!

Thank you very much for your help. Disconnected filtration system. It appears the filtration system is bad. The cycle is messed up and it is back washing back into the house. The black is probably coming from the deteriorating carbon.

I printed your instructions on draining the the heaters and plan to do that this weekend.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: