Gurgling tub drain, stinky sink drain

Old 07-06-08, 11:16 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Gurgling tub drain, stinky sink drain

Greetings,
I had a complete remodel done on my upstairs Master Suite. This included putting in a whirlpool bath and a second sink. A few months ago I started to notice a gurgling sound in the tub drain when I use the sink at the lavatory. I seem to remember the plumber did not make another vent for the second sink so there may be two sinks, and perhaps the tub drain, on the same 2" (?) vent. I also get floored by "swamp gas" smell when the lavatory drains. Is it possible that there's a partial clog somewhere. It worked fine for over one year. The bath is on the second story so there is not cleanout available, perhaps only the vent. Maybe a bird made a nest on the vent stack? Any ideas? Thank you ahead of time.
Brian W.
Agoura Hills, CA

Old 07-06-08, 03:12 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
It does sound as it is a venting problem, considering there is existing venting. Hopefully the remodeler did his homework and provided for proper venting on the tub and sink. Now, in the event he did, you may very well have a collection of bird, squirrel stuff in your vent pipe. If you decide to chug your vent, be very careful on the roof, and use a garden hose (water off) to try and dislodge any occlusion. The stink could come from the tub draining and sucking the water out of the ptrap of the sink, since it is higher. It could also be coming from rotting hair residue, so a good cleaning may be in order.

Old 07-06-08, 06:15 PM
You are saying this remodel is just over a year old, correct?
I am assuming you used PVC or ABS piping.
Do you have access to the attic above that bathroom and do you store anything up there?
You may want to inspect the pipe in the attic to see if it is back pitched at all. If it is and had filled up with condensate, it will block the vent only to that bathroom.

The 2" line is fine as a combination vent and drain for up to 2 tubs, 2 toilets, and 2, lavs.

But if the pipe in the floor between the sink and the tub is back pitched or partially clogged you could lose the vent and cause gurgling.

Have you tried any drain cleaner to see if it is a clog in the drain?

I guess I would start there. You can also check the main vent as Chandler has pointed out.

Old 07-08-08, 02:14 PM
B
Thank you for the suggestions. ABS was used for the drain lines. The work also passed city inspections, with all pipes exposed. There is little or no attic above the room, as it's an upper story with an almost dead flat roof.
So, Liquid Plumber type stuff will be o.k. with the ABS pipes? I wasn't sure about that.
BW

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: