Hot Water Slab Leak

Old 07-08-08, 07:27 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hot Water Slab Leak

We have a warm spot on our wood floor directly below our water heater which has been diagnosed as a hot water slab leak. The various bids we are getting for fixing it include replacing all of the hot water lines in the house, replacing just the broken hot water line, and/or replacing all of the hot and cold water in the house--total new water plumbing. Does one line leaking mean that we can expect more problems? Should we therefore go ahead and replace everything, both hot and cold, or are the estimates for unnecessary work? Thank you for your help.

Old 07-08-08, 07:55 PM
Ma Ma Ma My Sharona,
One of my favorite songs as a youngster

If this is the first and only leak you may want to attempt fixing just that leak.

Problem is, it may be possible to damage another pipe under the slab while trying to fix this one.
It is very possible there are more bad spots in the piping.

I am assuming we are talking about copper pipes. Cement and copper do not play well together. If it is plastic pipe, only fix the one leak. plastic is very resilient.

I would also be looking at how hard it is and the cost of replacing all the water lines.

Old 07-09-08, 08:34 AM
S
SZ8
Hi,

I've recently got the same slab leaking problem (see the thread
two weeks earlier). I did not hesitate to have the spot repaired.
But looks like they did not find the right spot and leaking stopped
after digging. Still waiting to for the leak to come.

My house is around 10-year old so I assume the leaking is just
an isolated problem.

I am just curious how they can replace the whole (hot water)
line in your house. Do they repipe through the walls? What
the cost looks like?

Thanks,

SZ

Originally Posted by sharona View Post
We have a warm spot on our wood floor directly below our water heater which has been diagnosed as a hot water slab leak. The various bids we are getting for fixing it include replacing all of the hot water lines in the house, replacing just the broken hot water line, and/or replacing all of the hot and cold water in the house--total new water plumbing. Does one line leaking mean that we can expect more problems? Should we therefore go ahead and replace everything, both hot and cold, or are the estimates for unnecessary work? Thank you for your help.

Old 07-09-08, 10:37 AM
S
Hot Water Slab Leak

Thank you for the replies. The bids we have received for an 1800 square foot one story run from $4000 for hot only, to $11,000 for hot and cold. They all run new lines through the walls and into the attic. Thanks for your help. Sharona

Old 07-09-08, 05:28 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You on a meter to where you can see how much water is going through the meter because of this leak? I presume you live way down south if they are running the pipe in the attic? Or do you have one of those 1 1/2 story houses where you call the attic the top floor? Since you know where the likely spot is, you don't have any handy relatives or friends who'd try to have at this repair? I'd probably repair it once or twice, and if more appeared then it be time to redo it completely. That be MY thinking, anyway. I'm pretty tight with my money.

Old 07-10-08, 08:07 AM
S
SZ8
I also love to DIY. But for doing this kind repair, I

feel that it is quite difficult to identify the exact spot. The plumber I
hired obviously identified wrong spot, even though that spot was
warm.

Jackhammering the concrete is quite nasty but doable.

Also for actual repair, the plumber is actually using silver solder
instead of normal ones for under slab repairing. Don't know if
other ones are using the same method.

SZ

QUOTE=ecman51`;1394302]... I'd probably repair it once or twice, and if more appeared then it be time to redo it completely. That be MY thinking, anyway. I'm pretty tight with my money.[/QUOTE]

Old 07-10-08, 06:53 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
What about the water meter part of my question?

If it leaks enough, that then would also generate a sound to stethoscope to. Also, if it leaks enough, calculations can be made with a pressure gauge if leaky water line falls between path of various fixtures, and one can proportion pressure and distance. I did this to find and fix under slab leak about 18 years ago, and also used this method to hone in on under ground water leaks some years back.

For the demolition work, I would not want to be paying the big yellow page ad contractors to do this (unless I weighed out a guarantee that they could isolate the leak without tearing up huge areas of slab) as this surely has to cost huge bucks. I'd try to make reasonable guesses myself and jackhamer or sledgehammer myself - unless of course if money is no object.

Old 07-11-08, 05:09 PM
S
SZ8
in my case, the water meter is not spinning. I also tried

turning on one of the faucet by a little trickle and it is not spinning
either. So, looks like it does not tell much for a small leak.

For me, the biggest problem is to identify the leaking spot. Since I
got screwed up one time, I am bit nervous to hire the next
plumber to detect the leaking spot. Not sure what to do yet.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: