Pex / soldering stub outs

Old 07-16-08, 09:41 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Pex / soldering stub outs

I ran PEX to drop ear elbows, then screwed in 6" copper stubouts under my sinks. How do I connect (i.e. solder) the faucet adapter to the stubout after the drywall is on? You shouldn't solder within 18 inches of a PEX connection.

They make copper stubouts that connect directly to PEX, but the same problem exists. You can't solder the faucet adapter on before the drywall goes up because of the escutchion.

I suppose I could use a pipe wrench to remove the stubout, solder it and screw it back in. But then I couldn't verify it wasn't leaking at the drop ear inside the wall. Plus, I don't particularly like putting a pipe wrench on copper pipe.

So what's the solution? How do I get an escutchion on and make my final (solder?) joints, within 6 inches of the PEX? 1/2 compression fittings? And PLEASE don't say Sharkbite.

Thanks,
Barry

Old 07-17-08, 03:04 AM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
Shut off valves with compression inlets.

Old 07-17-08, 06:51 AM
M
disassemble the shut offs, a damp rag, and be careful. I've done it plenty of times with 90 bends, i am not sure if that is what you are using tho.

Old 07-17-08, 10:41 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 427 Upvotes on 380 Posts
You could also use brass (or galvanized if you're looking to be cheap) 1/2" nipples as the stubs that go from your drop ear elbows to threaded angle stops. No soldering involved.

If you want to pressure test or pressurize the system prior to installing the drywall or stops, you can use a cap to cap the ends.

Depending on how many you have, it may get a bit expensive, but it's an option.

Old 07-17-08, 07:13 PM
C
Thumbs up

I'll go with compression fittings since the stubouts are already in place. I considered the nipple idea, but I believe the cost is higher. Soldering here seems too risky for me. I'm sure you might get away with it... except for that one time...

Thanks to everyone for the thoughts.

Barry

Old 07-18-08, 05:38 AM
Definitely use the compression stops. About 10 years ago I switched to them and have never gone back. I have never had any problems with them. Make sure to hold both the valve and the compression nut when tightening. As a trick, I use some plumbers faucet grease on the ferules before installation. It helps in tightening and stops any small leaks. I never solder under a sink anymore

Old 07-18-08, 06:59 PM
C
Thumbs up

Great tip about the grease Mark.

Thanks,
Barry

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: