Low hot water pressure

Old 03-28-00, 07:01 PM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

Our house is approx. 50 years old we have a fairly new gas hot water heater copper pipes thoughout the house and the hot water pressure is about half of the cold. One thing i did noticed is on the top of the tank line on the cold side is hot and the line on the hot side is cold. Any ideas. Thanks.
Steve

Old 03-28-00, 09:28 PM
Visiting Guest
If your water heater is plumbed in backwards (cold water going into the hot nipple and hot water being drawn from the cold nipple), that won't affect the water pressure, but it will only give you 5 to 10 gallons of usable hot water (which will make for a very short shower!!). I would make sure that possible problem is resolved before going any farther.

Old 03-28-00, 10:05 PM
Visiting Guest
One other thought just occured to me. When this water heater was installed, were heat trap nipples put on it? If so, and the supply lines were attached backwards, you won't get very much hot water pressure. Shut off the water to the heater and remove both supply lines at the water heater, leaving the top of the nipples exposed. If the one in the cold side has a blue plastic center, and the one in the hot side has a pink plastic center, you have heat trap nipples. Before you reattach the supply lines, put a small pan or bowl under each and open the supply valve slightly, until water starts flowing out of one of the lines. That is the incoming cold. Attach that one to the cold nipple and your problems should be over.

Old 03-29-00, 07:49 AM
Visiting Guest
Cool

thanks alot i'll give it a try.

Steve

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: