water softners

Old 03-30-00, 08:34 PM
pinman
Visiting Guest
Question

We moved into our first home 4 years ago & we have never had a softner before. My question is. Is there a way to cut back the amount of softening that goes along with the process? I mean, when you use soap the soap never feels like it is being rinsed off. We want to know if you can alter the softener not to soften with quite as much salt when it cylces. This is driving my husband nuts. Sincerely, Babs

Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-00, 01:03 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Soap doesn't rinse off well? Sounds more like the softener is not softening the water as it should, rather than the other way around. Might want to get it serviced and the water tested to see. But first: All water softeners have controls that allow you to adjust the timing (hour-usually 1-3 a.m.) and frequency (days of the week)of regeneration. Should be right on top of softener. If you can't find the manual that came with softener (or figure it out after looking at it), try to contact the manufacturer or dealer for one, or to tell you how to adjust your particular model. Controls are usually set for the amount of water being used per month (X 1,000 gallons), and yours may have been set for higher/lower usage than you're using. There are also kits that you can get to test your water, but that's another thing. Just experiment with it, until you get it like you want it. You can turn the softener off you know, by putting it on "bypass". Good Luck!

[This message has been edited by OldGuy (edited March 31, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by OldGuy (edited March 31, 2000).]

Old 03-31-00, 07:31 AM
pinman
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb

Thanks OLDGUY
Your note gave me an idea :0 . to check if there is a web site for culligans on the net. Them and the "other" local softener folks here don't want to talk unless we sign them up to a service contract. I will search for an address thanks for the clue!!

AJ