Low Hot Water Pressure and Calcium

Old 07-18-08, 05:21 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Low Hot Water Pressure and Calcium

We're having two problems that I'm pretty sure are related.

1. The hot water pressure in the house is terrible. Cold water has pretty good pressure, but the hot water is probably 1/4 what the cold is, even at the washing machine that is only about 5 feet from the tank.

2. We get little chunks of calcium plugging up the shower head and sometimes we see them floating around in a glass of water.

The house is nearly 80 years old and has Cast Iron water pipes. The Hot Water tank was here when we bought the house about two years ago and appears to be fairly new.

When I flush the hot water tank, the water is clear from start to finish with no discoloration, so I'm pretty sure the problem is not in the tank.

I disconnected a coupler going out of the hot water tank and just that small part I could see was about 1/3 blocked with corrosion.

My question is, is there way short of tearing all the plumbing apart and replacing it to clear this blockage out? Any way to backflush it out (without sending all that junk into the hot water heater).

Old 07-19-08, 01:39 AM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
I'm pretty sure that when you state "pressure" you really mean flow. I'm also pretty sure that you do not have "cast iron" piping in your house but instead have steel.

As for cleaning the calcium scale and other corrosion from you pipes, sorry, but no dice. The only thing that is going to work is a total re-pipe job.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: