Pinhole leaks in copper tubing

Old 07-23-08, 08:20 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Pinhole leaks in copper tubing

My home was built in '78 and uses copper plumbing. In the last two years I've begun to have pinhole leaks develop in the tubing. My neighbors home is the same age and he's having the same problem. We get our water from a county water system.

I've been told that this will continue to happen unless I install some kind of whole house water filter. Does anyone know what's causing this and what type of filter I need?

Thanks for the help......

Old 07-23-08, 09:42 AM
M
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
AFAIA, this is the current state of knowledge with regard to such leaks:

Case Studies: Copper Pin-Hole Leaks

Old 07-23-08, 11:50 AM
S
Thanks,

Interesting reading, can't imagine determining the cause of pinhole leaks is more difficult than figuring out why the earths getting warmer!

Anybody else run into this problem? Apparently it affects quite a few folks in different areas of the country......

Old 07-23-08, 11:55 AM
we had a couple when we first moved in about 10 years ago

the county supposedly added something to the water to stop it (really makes you want to drink tap water doesn't it ? ) we haven't seen any since

heres what my county says about it

http://naca-nokomis.com/copper.faqs.6.05.htm

Old 07-23-08, 12:17 PM
S
Many thanks Mango,

I don't need to call a plumber... I need to call the water company!

Old 07-23-08, 03:59 PM
A
Cool

Another solution change to pex, Uponor Wirsbo is by far a superior product to any pex out there and does not deteriote due to water conditions, check out their website.

http://www.uponor-usa.com/

Old 07-23-08, 06:04 PM
I would be willing to bet you have what is called type M copper tubing. Type M is much thinner than type L and cannot withstand the abrasion and minerals as long as type L.

In NH we had a code for a while that made it against code to use type M for potable plumbing, only for heat piping. Heat pipes do not have the oxygen, minerals or abrasion like standard potable water lines because they are in a closed system.
Unfortunately, when we adopted IPC code, we are now able by code to use the cheaper pipe. I go by the old code.(when I use copper anymore.)

If you see any red lettering on the pipe, it is type M
If you see blue lettering on the pipe it is type L

Old 07-23-08, 07:30 PM
H
my sympathies...

We had tiles in a bathroom broken and slab broken to come up with a fix for copper with about 5 pinholes in it, only to have leaks start someplace else also below slab.

We recently had the whole house re-plumbed.......(built in 1975)....

Just thought I'd add to the other things here. Our plumber said that he has heard that the lack of proper grounding in a house can lead to the holes....Don't know if I belive it, but one more possibility. He was with a large company and had been a plumber for 16 years......

Best of luck to you

Old 07-23-08, 08:12 PM
I have heard of the grounding thing being a problem also.

Old 07-24-08, 11:53 AM
S
Lightbulb Could it be aggressive water

I called the man in charge of water chemistry for our county water treatment authority. He told me they've been using phosphate corrosion control treatment since '96 so no help there. He did remind me that our water in this area is extra soft (extremely aggressive).... virtually no mineral content. I do know it's virtually impossible to get any kind of 'hardness' indication on a water test strip even after adding a considerable amount of 'hardness increaser' into a hot tub.

Does anyone make a whole house filter that adds minerals to the water???

I forgot to ask him about treatment changes that may have taken place due to our water coming from a Lake that's now at record load levels due to drought conditions the last few years. I guess there could be something about this situation too since the timing of this problem developing corresponds so well.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: