general plumbing

Old 04-20-00, 02:14 PM
Visiting Guest
Talking

I need to install a new shut off valve for my water main. I thought it would be good to add a faucet and sink at the same time. Is this job ok for a novice or do you think a plumber is needed? I was told by a frfiend to call a plumber.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-00, 10:05 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
There's nothing mysterious about replacing a sink or a faucet. Just have all of the parts on hand before you start. Personally, I would replace the main shut-off valve first then simply shut off the water at the sink using the shut off valves there, so the rest of the house will have water. Plan on replacing the hot and cold supply lines to the sink and having to rework the drain so it will match up with the basket(s) in the new sink.

Old 04-21-00, 01:02 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

dpeak, ADDING a new sink is far different than replacing a sink (the latter is fairly simple). A sink, will need separate hot and cold water supply lines, a drain tie-in to the main drain, and a vent. You may be able to tie-in to all four easily or it may be a major job, depending upon where this new sink is located. If you aren't sure, I recommend that you call a plumber to at least rough it all in for you, and then you can complete the final installation. Good Luck!