Symmons hot seat removal

Old 07-27-08, 05:59 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Symmons hot seat removal

After reading on the web that I should replace the hot seat on the Symmons shower unit, I went and bought hot+cold seat and the removal tool.

I was able to get the cold seat out. However, the hot seat just does not want to move. After forcing it with the wrench, the tool now just spin inside the seat. It would not bite. Any idea how to remove the seat out?

If I were to call a plumber, what would they do?

Thanks in advance...

Old 07-27-08, 10:24 AM
Well, I would say the seat is stripped. The only option I can think of at this time is to use an Easy Out. Ask me if you do not know what I am talking about.

Old 07-27-08, 05:15 PM
S
plumbingods... thank you for your quick reply..

I think I know what an "Easy Out" tool is. However, the hot seat is fairly big... almost 3/4in in diameter. Do they have a tool that for that size circle? The other thing is I thought "Easy out" is for stripped screw with solid middle... will it work with hollow circle (for the hot seat)?

Last of all, if ever I can get traction on the hot seat, is any solvent or spray to make the seat easier to come out?

Old 07-27-08, 05:52 PM
As far as the sizes are concerned, I don't know how large they make them. I know they make some for plumbers that go into 1/2" pipe. Maybe they make one for 3/4"

What size is the removal tool?

With Easy outs, you usually need to drill a hole into the screw/bolt to use the easy out. It goes into the hole and tightens as you try to loosen the item

Old 07-28-08, 04:20 PM
W
Received 13 Upvotes on 11 Posts
Hi, If you have the tool for removing the seat you could possibly drivr the remover into the seat and make new grooves. The remover should be tool steel. Another possible idea is a cold chisle with the right size you could drive it into the hole in the seat then turn it out. A word of caution make sure the tool doesn't go in too deep and crush the valve behind the seat.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: