Garden hose backing up into house!

Old 04-30-00, 06:32 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

Help! I was watering my grass today and noticed very low water pressure from my garden hose. When I went to check the hose connection, I noticed water backing up behind the aluminum siding. When I went in the house to check for water damage, sure enough there was some water on the floor in the bathroom coming from the outside wall and about half an inch of water down in the hvac air ducts (our house is on a concrete slab and the ducts are in the concrete.)

I have several questions...does this sound like a cracked pipe inside the wall? This is the first time we have used the hose this spring. Could this have been caused by frozen pipes over the winter months? Any idea how expensive is this kind of thing to repair? Do you think homeowners insurance would cover the costs of repair?

------------------
Kathleen
Woodridge, IL

Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-00, 06:52 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Yes, it sounds like you have a pipe leaking from a winter freeze in the wall. Is your hose bib the so-called freeze-proof kind? (They DO freeze sometimes.) If it wasn't leaking until you turned your water hose on, it must be. Damage should be covered by your homeowner's insurance, but unless there has been a lot of hidden water damage, this should not be an expensive repair and probably won't be near as much as your deductible. Good Luck!

Old 04-30-00, 08:41 PM
Visiting Guest
quote:
Originally posted by mcquaidkat:
Help! I was watering my grass today and noticed very low water pressure from my garden hose. When I went to check the hose connection, I noticed water backing up behind the aluminum siding. When I went in the house to check for water damage, sure enough there was some water on the floor in the bathroom coming from the outside wall and about half an inch of water down in the hvac air ducts (our house is on a concrete slab and the ducts are in the concrete.)

I have several questions...does this sound like a cracked pipe inside the wall? This is the first time we have used the hose this spring. Could this have been caused by frozen pipes over the winter months? Any idea how expensive is this kind of thing to repair? Do you think homeowners insurance would cover the costs of repair?

This is common where I live, what caused this?

Frost Proof bibbs are designed the shut off back in the wall, there lenght are from 6" up to 12"

Reason for this is so they can bleed out excess water that is close to the elements, freezing weather.

What happened to cause it to break?

My guess is the hose remained attached, not allowing the water to bleed out, so when it froze it caused the bibb in wall to freeze the water and make it break.

How to fix it?

1. Turn water off to house
2. Relieve the pressure in the water line by opening up a hose bibb outside.
3. The one that is broken make sure you have it turned off tight.
4. Take Channel locks and try to turn it couterclockwise.

(caution) when turning on the bibb and it feels spongee stop and don't continue, what can happen is the possibilities of twisting the pipe in the wall

If this feels like it's twisting it would be advisable to call a plumber.

5. After you get the bibb out take it to your home center so you can match up the right lenght.

6. Get a small thing of pipe dope while at the home center for you will need it.

7. Reinstall the bibb and turn the water on, look for leaks, if none that tou fixed it.

8. Remember to remove the hose's off the bibbs in the winter to prevent them from breaking again.

Best of Luck

By The Code Plumber

Old 05-03-00, 07:30 PM
Visiting Guest
BE SURE THE HOSE BIBB IS PITCHED DOWNWARD SLIGHTLY SO IT WILL DRAIN OUT..THIS IS IMPORTANT.

[This message has been edited by GARPLUMCO (edited May 03, 2000).]