Main Drain Clog?

Old 05-06-00, 10:08 PM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

I am a plumbing dummy, and I desperately need help, as I can't afford to call a plumber. Forgive me if I'm not explaining this well.

The drain in my basement is backing up. Some sewage (yuk), and washing machine water, but bathtub water doesn't seem to back up (I could be mistaken though).

I can't get the snake past about 6" into the drain. I can't see into it, as there is water covering the drain. Is there typically a bolt or something down in there that I can remove? And how? Also, would one of those blow up thingies work? How can I get it far enough into the drain to work?

Any suggestions? (please give me "kindergarten style" instructions if ya can!) And if this isn't something that I (or my husband) just can't take care of ... what would I generally expect to pay a plumber?

Thanks in advance. (c:

Old 05-07-00, 01:13 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
What is stopping you from being able to get the snake very far into the drain is probably the trap. The snake you are using may not be flexible enough to go through it. As far as using "the blow up thingies", IF you can get one far enough into the drain so that the hose connection is in the drain, try it. They work by the pressure they build up, forcing the clog to move.

Old 05-07-00, 02:41 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Cool

I'm sure that lefty is right. The snake you're using is not going to go through your trap. You might try a plumber's auger to see if the blockage is in the trap itself. That is flexible enough to work, but it's short (mainly for toilets, and has a 3-foot handle with crank). If that doesn't do it, make sure that the "blow up thingie" on your water hose is large enough for a 3-4" line, which is probably the size of your drain. One or the other should do it. Good Luck!

Old 05-07-00, 03:57 AM
Visiting Guest
quote:<HR>Originally posted by OldGuy:
I'm sure that lefty is right. The snake you're using is not going to go through your trap. You might try a plumber's auger to see if the blockage is in the trap itself. That is flexible enough to work, but it's short (mainly for toilets, and has a 3-foot handle with crank). If that doesn't do it, make sure that the "blow up thingie" on your water hose is large enough for a 3-4" line, which is probably the size of your drain. One or the other should do it. Good Luck!<HR>

If it's roots the bag will not work and if it does it will plug right back up in no time, call in a drain cleaning company.

I can't believe you moderators in here think everything you tell in here is a sure fix.

By The Code Plumber

Old 05-07-00, 06:38 AM
Visiting Guest
What a plumber would cost depends on the area of the country. Where I live that typically runs 40-50 dolllars for a routine drain clear. To me that is money well spent. Of course there are no gaurantees in what you run into.

Old 05-07-00, 01:30 PM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

Well, we've tried the bag, and it didn't work. For a few minutes after we do it, it will seem to work; the water will go down to a certain point and stop, and it all starts again.

Looks like we're going to have to find a way to live with this until we can afford the large bill that it's likely to cost.

Thanks, all, for your help. (c:

Old 05-07-00, 08:14 PM
Visiting Guest
HAVE YOU CONSIDERED RENTING A DRAIN MACHINE
AND TRYING IT YOURSELF ??

Old 05-07-00, 08:31 PM
L
Since you said the bag didn't work, then you are probably dealing with roots in the line, as stated by "By the code plumber". Renting a drain cleaning machine, as suggested by "GARPLUMCO" is one option, but it may be as much to do that as to simply call a plumber. Besides, you may or may not be able to get a machine with a small enough cable to go through a 2" trap, which is what your floor drain probably has. Another question, does this line have a cleanout that you can access, thereby by-passing the trap?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: