Faucet won't shut off.

Old 05-02-00, 10:24 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

My bathroom sink faucet just won't shut off. I have turned the water off at the shut off valve and both handles are off as far as they will go but I still have a steady stream of water coming out of my faucet. Does anyone know what is wrong, and how I can fix it myself? How can I check the faucet for repairs if I can't get the water to shut off at all?

Old 05-03-00, 07:38 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cool

Find shut off valves or shut main,remove handle unscrew cartridge or stem and seat,bring everything to a plumbing supply and replace everything,ask advice at supply house.Its easier then it sounds.

------------------
Dave
L.I.Handyman

Old 05-06-00, 12:19 AM
Visiting Guest
Smile

quote:<HR>Originally posted by LI handyman:
Find shut off valves or shut main,remove handle unscrew cartridge or stem and seat,bring everything to a plumbing supply and replace everything,ask advice at supply house.Its easier then it sounds.

<HR>

I tried the main shut off valve it reduced the amount of water coming through my pipes but didn't shut the water to my house off completely. The shower and toilet still had water when i turned them on and flushed. Also the faucets on the outside of the house still had water coming out. I tried turnig the main shut off more until no more water flowed through my house but i ended up turning the handle off (it broke while turnig). So now i still have a leaking faucet i can't get the water off enough to take a look at and fix. Now what? Call the water dept. and have them shut off the water to the house so i can fix the faucet. Every type of handle or valve i can turn to shut off the water i have tried. This problem is turning out to not be as easy as it should be. Help?

Old 05-07-00, 04:06 AM
Visiting Guest
quote:<HR>Originally posted by Marcelle:
I tried the main shut off valve it reduced the amount of water coming through my pipes but didn't shut the water to my house off completely. The shower and toilet still had water when i turned them on and flushed. Also the faucets on the outside of the house still had water coming out. I tried turnig the main shut off more until no more water flowed through my house but i ended up turning the handle off (it broke while turnig). So now i still have a leaking faucet i can't get the water off enough to take a look at and fix. Now what? Call the water dept. and have them shut off the water to the house so i can fix the faucet. Every type of handle or valve i can turn to shut off the water i have tried. This problem is turning out to not be as easy as it should be. Help?<HR>

Call the water department, they will be more then happy to come out and shut your water off for a while.

They fix the leaks, replace the bad shut off valves then have them turn your water back on.

By the Code Plumber

Old 05-07-00, 04:08 AM
Visiting Guest
quote:<HR>Originally posted by By the code plumber:
Call the water department, they will be more then happy to come out and shut your water off for a while.

They fix the leaks, replace the bad shut off valves then have them turn your water back on.

They fix = Then fix

By The Code Plumber

By the Code Plumber

<HR>

Old 05-07-00, 06:33 AM
Visiting Guest
Another place the water can be turned off is at the meter. If you have a water meter try that.

Old 05-09-00, 02:08 PM
Marcelle
Visiting Guest
Cool

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Andy:
Another place the water can be turned off is at the meter. If you have a water meter try that.<HR>

I don't see a water meter. I was happy just to find the main shut off. This is an old house it's very confusing.

Old 05-09-00, 02:13 PM
Marcelle
Visiting Guest
Cool

quote:<HR>Originally posted by By the code plumber:

By the Code Plumber

<HR>

I've fixed a faucet before and know how to do that, but I've never replace a shut off valve before is it hard. Is there any thing i need to know? Will it be self-explanitory when i take it apart?
Thanx for your help.

Old 05-09-00, 05:33 PM
Visiting Guest
quote:<HR>Originally posted by Marcelle:
I've fixed a faucet before and know how to do that, but I've never replace a shut off valve before is it hard. Is there any thing i need to know? Will it be self-explanitory when i take it apart?
Thanx for your help.
<HR>

You have to shut the main water to the house off 1st before attempting to replaces the valves.

I would recommend calling in a plumbing, these can be a problem doing them yourself, i.e.... pipe breaks in wall, supply lines won't stop leaking, many things can go wrong.

By The Code Plumber

Old 05-09-00, 08:40 PM
L
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If the house is old, so is the plumbing. I agree with "By the code plumber" -- call a plumber about replacing the main shut off. When he breaks an old pipe, at least he will have the material needed to repair it.

Old 05-10-00, 12:51 AM
Marcelle
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

Will calling a plumber to fix the shut off valves be a big hassle? What should I expect the plumber to have to do, so that i will not get rail roaded into too much work or money? Will or Should it cost me a great deal? Is this a problem I can ignore for a while? If I just have the water turned off, replace the faucet so it stops leaking will everything be okay for a while? I'm greatly trying to avoid having to get a plumber. If i can remedy the situation myself i would perfer it.

Old 05-10-00, 06:24 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

Marcelle,
Like BTCPlumber and lefty recommended, have the water cut off at the meter, and call a plumber to replace the main cutoff valve, if you don't know how to do it. Old plumbing (probably galvanized) has a way of its own when you start messing with it. At least you'll be able to cut your water off, so that you can fix the rest of it when you can. You're probably not talking about a lot of money to at least get the main cutoff fixed, then do the rest yourself. Good Luck!

Old 05-11-00, 12:41 AM
Marcelle
Visiting Guest
Talking

quote:<HR>Originally posted by OldGuy:
Marcelle,
Like BTCPlumber and lefty recommended, have the water cut off at the meter, and call a plumber to replace the main cutoff valve, if you don't know how to do it. Old plumbing (probably galvanized) has a way of its own when you start messing with it. At least you'll be able to cut your water off, so that you can fix the rest of it when you can. You're probably not talking about a lot of money to at least get the main cutoff fixed, then do the rest yourself. Good Luck!
<HR>

Thanx alot!!!! I really appreciate all the help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: