smelly drain in shower

Old 05-17-00, 12:33 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I have an awful smell coming into the air whenever I turn on the water faucet in my bathtub. I know it is not the water, and my drain is not clogged. What could be this stench in the air. (smells like moldy water or what your clothes smell like when you leave them in the washer after washing them the day before!) What kinds of cleaners, chemicals, etc. can take care of this?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-00, 05:22 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by kc4:
I have an awful smell coming into the air whenever I turn on the water faucet in my bathtub. I know it is not the water, and my drain is not clogged. What could be this stench in the air. (smells like moldy water or what your clothes smell like when you leave them in the washer after washing them the day before!) What kinds of cleaners, chemicals, etc. can take care of this?

The smell could be from a number of things.

1. Make sure the trap has water in it, to test this take a match and blow it out, put the smoke down by the drain, see if there is any airflow comming from the drain.

You could have leakage into the wall via the overflow on the tub, a gasket seals this to the back of the tub, if this a worn or not there, any water hitting the overflow cover plate can get into the area of the wall.

Water can get into a wall via valve trim and tub spout, make sure these are caulked and have a good seal around there edges.

Water can get into the wall via the surround, make sure you have a good caulk seal around the edge of the tub.

Now if there is a leak in the wall, and you can go under the house, look in the area of the tub and see if there is any standing water, and look at the floor line for water stains.

If all these are found to be ok then, call in a plumber and see if a plumber can figure it out.

Best of Luck Plumber2000
www.atozplumbing.com