Pipe loosening tricks?

Old 08-04-08, 02:16 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pipe loosening tricks?

I am replacing a 2 inch bathroom drain pipe that is rusted out on the botton side all the way through. It has rusted out all the way down to the connecter that connects it to the toilet and shower drains so I cannot simply cut it off, and I can't seem to get it loose. I am also not sure if it is steel or lead pipe. Any tips or tricks to loosenoing a stubborn pipe? it is a tight space so i don't have alot of leverage Thanks in advance

Old 08-04-08, 02:43 PM
Well, first off there is a huge difference between lead pipe and galvanized pipe.

Secondly, have you used pipe wrenches? Can you use a torch to heat it up?

If you are using a pipe wrench, you want to make sure you are touching 3 points on the wrench, not just 2, otherwise you could be crushing and ovaling the pipe.

Also have you tried to spray with a penetrating oil?

Why can't you cut the pipe?

Can you post a picture for us to see. It will help.

Old 08-04-08, 07:34 PM
A
I am using a pipe wrench and have a good fit, but when I try to turn the wrench the whole assembly moves and I don't want to tear something else up. I will try heating it up, and is wd-40 ok to use? I cant cut the pipe because it is rusted out up to the male fitting and the male (which is what I need loose) fitting connects to a three way connecter. I don't know the plumbing terms so I hope I am making sense. In addition I am replacing this pipe with pvc how should I attatch the pvc pipe to the female of the three way connector which I am pretty sure is steel? Thanks

Old 08-04-08, 08:28 PM
The connector from PVC to Female threads is simple. Just get an appropriate sized PVC x Male adapter.

Something I have done in the past is to cut the pipe very close to the connection you are trying to remove with a reciprocating saw, Then very carefully cut 2 small cuts into the threaded part without cutting to deep as to ruin the female threads. Then take a screwdriver and chisel out the little piece carefully. Once that is removed, you should be able to peel out the rest of the pipe from the fitting.

JUST TAKE EXTREME CAUTION NOT TO RUIN THE FEMALE THREADS. This can be done.

Old 08-06-08, 12:17 PM
F
3inch t with a 2 inch side outlet

i know what you got a hold of, i believe that is a leaded joint
in cast iron. if it is your gonna need a 2 inch service weight
e-z-tight gasket if you stop before you tear it up. you will just need a 2 inch lead x 2 inch band or 1 1/2 lead x 1 1/2 pl
mission band

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: