Pulsating water problem

Old 08-05-08, 01:10 PM
Q
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pulsating water problem

I'm experiencing a "pulsing" in my home water pressure - it is slow, rythmic and regular. I replaced the pressure valve about 3 yrs ago. Prior to that giving out, I did not experience this kind of pulsing. There is no hammering in the system by the way; just a regular pulsing.

I have city water and no sprinkler system. The pulsing occurs at every faucet and fixture and can be heard as well as seen.

Can you offer any advice?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-08, 01:14 PM
Do you have a PRV/pressure reducing valve, on your water line?

Have you noticed anything else odd?

Old 08-05-08, 01:31 PM
Q
There is a pressure control valve on the wall that the city line feeds into. I did replace this about three years ago. That time when it went, there as no pulsing over a long period of time, just a giant whoosh and water spraying everywhere. That was my first thought...but I don't know...

I had a handy man who was doing some work in the house who said that there was an air bubble in the system and that it had to be drained. I don't see how that could be however - where in the world could an air bubble get caught in a home water system...Whenever you turn the water off to do work on the system and then turn it back on, the air seems to evacuate just fine....

Old 08-05-08, 01:49 PM
Unfortunately, it is very hard to understand completely what you are describing.

I don't think I have ever run into this type of problem, but lets see if we can figure this out.

Can you give me the make and model of the PRV?

What size is it?

Did you have a shut off valve before the BFP?

Do you have a shut off valve after the BFP?

Is this problem throughout this whole hose or just one bathroom/fixture?

What color underwear is your wife wearing?
Just kidding, needed some humor here

Get back to me with the answers to all these questions with the exception of the last one. And I will see what I can do?

Old 08-07-08, 11:30 AM
F
prv

i am gonna take a shot in the dark and say that the prv is in backwards or it is defective. who put the prv in? or it could be a globe valve in backwards. a prv, and a globe valve are simular. in that the water is shut off by a directional wheel action rubber on a seat. if a globe valve or the prv[which uses the same type of assembly] is installed backwards, the gasket will flutter, or open close, real fast stopping and starting the water. ck your valves a globe has an arrow, that mean flow this way. it does not mean that it was manufactured by the native americans. or that cupid had something to do with it good luck man,

Last edited by frodo; 08-07-08 at 11:46 AM.