hot water

Old 05-27-00, 02:51 AM
Visiting Guest
My electric hot water heater has hot water but I can't get it to flow to the faucets. I drained it and now it won't fill back up. The water seems to stop where the pipe goes into the top of the heater. The cold water is fine??
We took the cold water pipe off the tank and there was some kind of plastic plug in there. We poked a hole in it and now the cold water is flowing and there is hot water in the faucets.
Was/is this plastic plug important??

[This message has been edited by theda (edited May 27, 2000).]

Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-00, 06:00 AM
Visiting Guest
Hi:theda

Kind of lost here. You say you emptied the tank? That must mean you closed the cold water inlet valve? Then open it and have several faucets opened also.

This well then allow the incoming cold water to push out the air in the tank and fill it.

Do not empty the tank. Unless your replacing it.

If you were trying to flush it, just open the flush valve near the bottom after you connect a garden hose to it. Put the open end of the hose far outside near the street gutter then open the flush valve.

The incoming cold water will then flush out the sediment. Once it runs clear and clean, turn off the flush valve, remove the hose and your done.

Good Luck

Old 05-27-00, 12:28 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The plastic plug you poked a hole in -- was it in the top of the cold nipple, and probably blue?? Could have been a heat trap type nipple. If that's all it was, your poking a hole in it won't hurt a thing.