Slow Lavatory Drain That Is Not Clogged....

Closed Thread

Old 08-10-08, 10:03 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Slow Lavatory Drain That Is Not Clogged....

Hi Everyone, I Am Dealing With My SINK Drain In My Master Bath That Is Not Draining Past My P-trap. Something Is Not Right But It Is Definately Not A Clog , I Have Cleaned All The Way To The Main Drain. It Still Only Takes A Very Small Amount Of Water To Back Up Into Sink And It Drains Real Slow. Please Help I Am Lost!!! -john

Last edited by STELBLITZ55; 08-10-08 at 10:07 AM. Reason: MORE INFO
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-08, 10:37 AM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Does it do this with the stopper completely removed?

I've run into lav drains all the time that when the stopper is partially up, the water sits there and glurps it's way down in increments. Like the little opening is surrounded by an air bubble. And as soon as you pull out the stopper, or raise it higher, the water rushes down the drain.

Probably the likely cause of this phenomenon (that *I* spoke of) lies in the fact that if the air entrance area at the stopper is smaller than the area of the trap filled with water, that not enough air is available to allow the water out of the trap and down the drain. Generally in proper vented lavs, the vent pipe tees upward (the drain heads downward) in the wall, and either goes straight up or again tees over toward the main vent stack where the entire venting is dry vented.

If it is not this, then it is probably a venting issue.

Last edited by ecman51; 08-10-08 at 10:46 AM. Reason: added more
Old 08-10-08, 11:40 AM
S
Thanks Ecman....

I HAVE COMPLETELY REMOVED THE STOPPER AND I CAN SEE THE WATER LEVEL GOING INTO ONE SIDE OF MY P-TRAP BY LOOKING DOWN THE DRAIN. AS MY PEA-BRAIN WOULD THINK AS THAT WATER LEVEL RISES THE PRESSURE WOULD PUSH WATER OUT THE DRAINAGE SIDE OF THE P-TRAP SO IT WOULD DRAIN. IN MY CASE IT GOES NO WHERE AND THE WATER LEVEL IS CLEARLY SEEN RISING UP UNTIL IT IS IN THE SINK. THEN IT VERY SLOWLY GOES DOWN BACK INTO THE P-TRAP. I KNOW IT SOUNDS LIKE A BLOCKAGE BUT I HAVE VISUALLY TAKEN THE WHOLE DRAIN PIPE APART AND THERE IS NO BLOCKAGE. IS THERE A CERTAIN LENGTH FOR THE P-TRAP TO BE ABOVE THE DRAIN OR ANY OTHER MEASUREMENT I SHOULD CHECK. I AM COMPLETELY CONFUSED WITH THIS ONE...THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR ADVICE...

Old 08-10-08, 12:18 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Do you know anything about where the vent is for this sink. Did it USED TO drain good?

Old 08-10-08, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
STEL

Go easy on the caps!!!!

When you said you cleaned all the way to the main drain, do you mean just to the wall? Theres a long way past that to the true main....

No problem with toilet or shower in the same area? If not, then you should only have a few feet to get to the larger drain for that bath.

Also, make sure the overflow is open down to the tailpiece. That normally just slows it a bit when the pop-up is in place, but it's worth checkin.

Old 08-10-08, 12:27 PM
S
Are We Talking The Vent In The Ceramic Part Of Sink ?
That Is Open And Clear . I Know This Because When My Wife Tried A Plunger On The Sink, (it Was To Funny ) It Soaked Her After Every Push.
If We Are Talking Main Vent , My Sink Ties Into My Main Vent Going To Roof That Was Changed Out About 1 Year Ago. My Sink , Toilet , Shower And Washing Machine (on Opposite Wall ) All Tie Into This Drain. There Is No Other Drain Isues With Any Other Appliance But This @#*%# Sink.

Old 08-10-08, 12:33 PM
S
GunGuy45 -I meant to my vent pipe inside of wall. A professional has cleaned out my entire line to the street a little less that 1 year ago. I have no problem with either my toilet or my shower draining at all. it just is with the p-trap somehow. i can place a water house in the drain after removing my p-trap and it goes down fine. SORRY FOR THE CAPS I AM A 1 FINGER TYPER AND DON'T DO VERY GOOD AT THAT EITHER!

Last edited by STELBLITZ55; 08-10-08 at 12:35 PM. Reason: more info
Old 08-10-08, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Well, I'm outa thoughts then.....

Big question still unanswered though...did it drain fine before?

There could be a "y" or something else just done incorrectly.

Old 08-10-08, 01:42 PM
S
Drain Problem....

I Bought This House About 4 Years Ago, And It Has Never Drained Great But It Did Drain Better Than Now.

Old 08-10-08, 03:17 PM
F
hey man, whats up!!!!!!! ok your sink,and your p-trap are clear. we got that. next on the list is the pipe,inside the wall. ok? your stoppage is most likely there. it is called a fixture arm. it needs to be cleaned out. it is no longer than 2ft 6inchs... you got something to clean it out with? sometimes you can rod a drain out, and it will still be cloged up because the soap and scum will just sit there as the rod passes thru. and when you pull it back it will just close up again. do you understand me ?[ya feel me bra]

Old 08-10-08, 06:05 PM
S
OK I feel you bra!!! I have snaked the pipe in the wall a good 5' long with no resistance. I have even ran a water hose down that pipe with the p-trap off and the water drains fine. I know this makes no since but maybe i should just call a professional to come and check it out. As much as it hurts my ego that a slow drain I can't figure out. If you have anymore 411 on a possible fix, let me know!!!! PEACE OUT BRA!

Old 08-10-08, 06:23 PM
F
now iam confused, you say you put a hose in the pipe and it drained good? didn't back up , didn't get your shoes wet?
ok.. now were getten somewhere. put the p-trap back on.
and hook the sink back up. if it don't drain now its vent
is this a single story? you might have a bird nest

Closed Thread