Need tips for removing stubborn piping

Old 05-30-00, 11:54 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I was replacing a bathroom sink fixture, shutoff valves, and p-trap. the fixture and shutoff valves were no problem, but the p-trap broke loose in my hands. There was a lot of corrosion at the p-trap/elbow and it broke off right there. What's left is a straight pipe coming from the wall (threaded on each end) and the elbow. I can't get the elbow removed - it's just not turning (I'm using a 14" pipe wrench and a mallet). Any good hints on how to remove a stobborn pipe?

I sprayed both threaded joints with WD40 many times over a couple of days, and can't budge it. I was told that vinegar might help, so I've started spraying the joints w/ vinegar. I can't figure a way to actually soak the joints so I've been using a spray bottle.

Would heating the elbow help?
Any other ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-00, 12:02 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by FirstTimeHomeOwner:
I was replacing a bathroom sink fixture, shutoff valves, and p-trap. the fixture and shutoff valves were no problem, but the p-trap broke loose in my hands. There was a lot of corrosion at the p-trap/elbow and it broke off right there. What's left is a straight pipe coming from the wall (threaded on each end) and the elbow. I can't get the elbow removed - it's just not turning (I'm using a 14" pipe wrench and a mallet). Any good hints on how to remove a stobborn pipe?

I sprayed both threaded joints with WD40 many times over a couple of days, and can't budge it. I was told that vinegar might help, so I've started spraying the joints w/ vinegar. I can't figure a way to actually soak the joints so I've been using a spray bottle.

Would heating the elbow help?
Any other ideas?

Here is a few tips.

Take a hammer and tap the nut on all sides of it.

Use the pipe wrench and the hammer to help assit in it's removal.

If all else fails, get a hack saw or sawsall being careful not to cut to deep to damage the theads which can cause it to leak afterwards, and cut out a section for the nut / fitting, once you cut a small section off it should remove real easy.

If it's the waste arm from the trap, take hammer and screwdriver and between the inside and out of the stuck pipe and attempt to deform the pipe, this is only if the stuck pipe is in fact part of the trap it's self

Best Regards Plumber2000
www.atozplumbing.com

[This message has been edited by Plumber2000 (edited May 30, 2000).]