Cast Iron to Copper

Old 08-10-08, 06:02 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cast Iron to Copper

I have a straight piece of cast iron where I can see corosion has set in and a small leak is present. My thoughts were to saw the pipe in half unthread each end and come back using copper. Is this possble do they make a threaded converter from cast to copper?

George

Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-08, 06:41 PM
F
what size george ?
you need to use a brass dwv male adapter. that would be the correct way. or you can use a copper male adapter
is it 2 inch cast iron?

Old 08-10-08, 06:55 PM
G
Originally Posted by frodo View Post
what size george ?
you need to use a brass dwv male adapter. that would be the correct way. or you can use a copper male adapter
is it 2 inch cast iron?

I'm sorry
Should have been a little more specific the line is a supply line to bathroom sink which branches off a t fiting the other line feeds the tub. Also I said cast iron its more like galavanised.
I was thinking of a cooper male nipple each end and sweat a piece in between the 2 nipples. My wording is horrible I'm sure hopefully you can make out what I'm suggesting. House is a nightmare with plumbing it was built early 1800's. But its home and I wouldnt have it any other way for some reason.

George

Old 08-10-08, 10:02 PM
Hello,

First of all, are we talking about water lines or drain lines. If it is a drain line, I'm pretty sure that pipe IS galvanized pipe.
If it is a drain line just use pvc to repair it. But copper can be used as you described.

If it is a water line, I would bet it is brass or galvanized.
For a short repair, You can use copper or you can use Cpvc. Cpvc is made for water systems.

Either way, be careful not to cause a leak further down the line when un-doing the pipes.

Old 08-11-08, 09:33 AM
F
yes that info makes a big difference, i agree withe the moderator, use cpvc plastic. its easier to use. you can use copper if you perfer. a male adapter. in either system is what you would need to transision. be carefull on the cpvc.
that you use the correct glue. pvc glue won't work. it needs to be cpvc glue or a multipurpose, that says cpvc on it. you cannot use pvc on the hot piping, it will melt.
goood luck

Old 08-11-08, 05:34 PM
G
Originally Posted by frodo View Post
yes that info makes a big difference, i agree withe the moderator, use cpvc plastic. its easier to use. you can use copper if you perfer. a male adapter. in either system is what you would need to transision. be carefull on the cpvc.
that you use the correct glue. pvc glue won't work. it needs to be cpvc glue or a multipurpose, that says cpvc on it. you cannot use pvc on the hot piping, it will melt.
goood luck
Thanks for the help fellahs.
Sure enough when breaking loose the galvanised pipe that I was replacing one end came out clean the other snapped in a t-jiont. Well I went with a cast to pvc adapter at both ends including a pvc t-jiont and at 1 end I was ending up with copper and pvc needing a elbow jiont. Went with this new plastic quick connect which I was skepticle at first but after using that thing was a snap. Slid the copper in 1 end and pvc in the other end to complete the elbow. Hope it holds but for now everything is dry.

Thanks Again

George

Old 08-11-08, 05:45 PM
Well George,

I am assuming you are talking about "Sharkbite" fittings. Purchased from the orange big box store.

Being a plumber, I still am Leary about them, but have used one. It makes a great fitting for service calls, but I would never do a complete job with them.

Give me about 20 years and then I will tell you if I like them.