Can I cut cpvc with a regular tubing cutter?

Old 08-11-08, 03:47 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can I cut cpvc with a regular tubing cutter?

Is it ok to cut cpvc or other plastic pipe with a traditional tubing cutter, the C-shaped type with a cutter wheel that you spin around the pipe?

I've seen references to special plastic cutting wheels for these, but haven't found any in actual stores.

I just want to make sure I'm not going to have any headaches down the road (for instance, cracked cpvc from using a ratcheting cutter in cold temperatures).

If I shouldn't use my old tubing cutter, what's the best option for a straight cut (rather not freehand with a saw) for somebody who is only going to do this a couple of times (don't want to buy an expensive tool if I don't have to)?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-08, 05:35 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I know I have tried cutting PVC with my cutter, but the cutting wheel is not big enough to go through. Cpvc is thinner walled so it may work. I usually just use a good hacksaw with a new blade.
They also sell hand held ratcheting cpvc cutters/ I think they are under $20.00

Old 08-12-08, 07:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 27 Votes on 26 Posts
I usually just use a wood saw or power miter saw to cut PVC and CPVC. With the miter saw, usually no deburring is necessary.

For a square cut, most people would recommend a back saw (the wide square blade helps you keep the cut straight). A miter box ensures the cut is square.

I will say, that as long as the cut is reasonably square and deburred, you won't have any problems. It doesn't have to be perfect to create a good seal.