adding outdoor faucet

Old 08-19-08, 05:23 PM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
adding outdoor faucet

Hello all, I have a quick question for you and would be grateful for any feedback that you may provide. I am in need of adding a third outdoor faucet to my house. I’m not sure on the best option for this, I am dealing with a completely finished house including basement except for the utility room which is were the water meter is.

The best option that I can see is to run it underneath the steps and into the unfinished / unheated garage and through the exterior wall. This would be a line that needs to be drained and blown out every fall which I’m fine doing.

Does anybody see a problem with such setup? What would be the best material to use for such project? I would love to use copper but it would be about 50 feet of copper and that stuff is expensive these days. Would PEX work? Any comments or suggestions greatly welcome.

Thank you

Old 08-20-08, 04:18 AM
J
Depends on where you are. You do not want an unprotected water line in an unheated space in a climate where it freezes. There are things you can do to protect the pipe, heating tape, etc., is needed.

Old 08-31-08, 04:53 AM
P
Just Bill is right,we assume you live where it freezes,or you wouldn't say it needs blown out.I would put a shut-off in the basement,before the new line your are running.Right after that I would put a tee with a shut-off so you can drain the line in the winter.I know this is adding to the cost but in my opinon would be the safest way.I would also use cooper pipe.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: