How do you install a drain into a concrete basement floor?

Old 08-25-08, 07:30 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How do you install a drain into a concrete basement floor?

I am remodeling my basement and part of the remodel is a existing bathroom. i am planning on adding a shower to the bathroom, there is already a toilet and a sink. My question is, how do i properly add a drain for the shower? I am pretty sure that I would have to cut the concrete and tie onto existing plumbing, but should i tie onto the drain for the toilet? I would just like more detail about the professional way to do this. thank you

Old 08-25-08, 02:49 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yes u would tie into the toilet drain and make sure u check for leaks before u patch concrete would not be a bad idea to install a ck valve in the line

Old 08-25-08, 08:41 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 173 Votes on 154 Posts
You start with a concrete saw, a sledge hammer, and a lot of dust. Next you cut the toilet drain, tie in the new drain, and likely replace the toilet drain and flange. The shower needs it's own 2" trap, and likely it's own vent, depending on distances between the shower and toilet vent.

None of the steps are that hard, but each step has its own issues... concrete is a pain to cut, and if your existing drain is cast iron, that will be a pain in itself.

At least consider hiring a plumber... or at least have one on 'standby' if you get in over your head.

Good luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: