Bathroom Expansion

Old 08-25-08, 01:15 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Bathroom Expansion

I'm planning on remodeling my master bath some time this winter and have a question regarding drain lines. Currently the bathroom has a standup shower. I'd like to make the room a little bigger and add a bathtub. The tub and shower would be then be next to each other. Is adding a new waste line (for the tub) a DIY job? And if so, does anyone have a good book/tutorial they'd recommend?

Old 08-25-08, 05:12 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
You would probably be installing a Y pipe to connect the two drains. What type of drain pipe is there now, cast iron, brass, PVC? You should be able to handle any of them, as long as you have the space. I use a sawsall with a carbide blade to cut cast iron and use rubber to connect PVC.

Old 08-25-08, 06:10 PM
K
Thanks for the reply Pulpo.

Not sure what's underneath yet since I have started demo yet. Right now I'm in the planning phase and trying to see what I can do myself and what I might contract out. I'm fairly new to all this, but are there any venting concerns I should think about? Or is that taken care of already because I'm simply tapping in to an existing waste line?

Old 08-25-08, 07:38 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 435 Upvotes on 387 Posts
drain and vent connections while initially seem very simple, become very complicated quickly. How to tie them together, when to use a Wye versus a sanitary tee, etc. requires quite a bit of reading and learning.

The good thing is, once you have it planned out, the actual assembly isn't hard, especially if you're using PVC. You're also lucky because the shower should have a 2" drain (which is required) whereas a tub usually has only a 1.5" drain, so you should be fine. I'd suggest once you open a wall up so you can see what's going on, post a few pictures here and you'll get help on how to connect everything together.

Basically, you'll have a 1.5" drain from the tub, connect into the 2" shower drain, and both will have a 1.5" vent (either one vent or two vents tied together higher up in the wall or attic - depending on how far apart the fixtures are).

I'd highly recommend "Plumbing a House" by Peter Hemp. It provides a lot of good overview information. I'm still looking for a good book on plumbing design...

Good luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: