remodeling bath - need to move water lines a few inches

Old 08-28-08, 01:15 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
remodeling bath - need to move water lines a few inches

Have tried other forums but without much luck. I am thinking about remodeling my 2 bathrooms, both of which currently have 72"-wide double vanities. The new vanities I am thinking of buying would need the water lines to be moved a few inches. For example, I would like to install 2 24"-wide vanities (one at each end of where the 72"-wide unit is now) and put a piece of furniture in the 24" now-open space in between. The problem is that the 24" vanity has a drawer on the bottom and when I look at the current water pipes/connections, one pipe is coming in only a few inches from the bottom of the current cabinet - right where the drawer would be on the new cabinet. In the other bath, one of the water lines is probably 27-28" in from the left end of the 72"-wide cabinet, which means it is in what would be the space BETWEEN the new 24"-wide cabinets. (I hope all this makes sense!) So my question is, how difficult a job is it to move water lines a few inches up, down, to the right, to the left? And what might be a ballpark cost of this kind of job? (I hope I don't have to give up on my bathrooms!) Thanks!!

Old 08-28-08, 01:43 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
Some pictures or drawings of what you currently have and what you want to have would be helpful. They would have to be uploaded to a photo hosting site and then the URLs posted here.

If the piping is at the back of the drawer then it might be possible to re-build the drawer to a shorter length to allow for the piping. Supply piping is relatively easy to move and drain piping is usually much more difficult.

Old 08-28-08, 01:57 PM
K
Originally Posted by furd
If the piping is at the back of the drawer then it might be possible to re-build the drawer to a shorter length to allow for the piping. Supply piping is relatively easy to move and drain piping is usually much more difficult.
Thanks for the quick reply. I am a total novice. How can I tell if the pipes are supply or drain? (I did a google search and found some info but not enough for me to be able to tell the difference.) Thanks.

Old 08-28-08, 03:02 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
Drain piping is about 1-1/2 inches in diameter and comes from the bottom of the washbasin. Supply piping will be about 3/4 inch in diameter and goes to the faucet.

Old 08-28-08, 03:55 PM
K
Thanks for the explanation (but duh, I should have been able to figure that out)! I just checked all 4 basins/faucets in the 2 bathrooms and found, to my delight, that the drain pipe won't have to be moved at all -- it's in a perfect place (or 4 perfect places!). Even the supply pipes might be OK -- just 2 of the 8 placements are "questionable" but your suggestion about moving the drawer back should definitely work for one, and I might be able to move the new cabinet 2-3" to the right to make the other one work. So this is quite a relief -- the bathrooms look very dated to me (early 1980s, original to the house I think) and I really do want to change them.

Anyway, thanks for answering something that I have been asking for days in various places with no help at all! I really appreciate it.

-Karen in New Hampshire

Old 08-28-08, 05:04 PM
Hi Karen,

What part of NH are you from?

If you are close enough, I wouldn't mind showing you what must be done if interested. You would need to pick me up and bring me back.
I am in West Manchester/Pinardville

If interested, PM me and I will give you my number.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: