replacing shut-off valve off main house line

Old 08-30-08, 08:06 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
replacing shut-off valve off main house line

In basement room there is an copper elbow joint with a nipple fitted to the main water line coming into house. Attached to nipple is a short plastic/PVC(?) line to a gray plastic/PVC (?) valve. The same type line on the opposite end of valve then goes to basement bathroom sink, tub. Well there is a pinhole leak in the valve which has sprayed onto the drywall (which I have to replace cuz of mildew). The valve is attached to the lines with copper rings. The ID marks on the line are: B137.8 IAPMO IS 22-81-1/2".

My questions: How do I replace the valve and should I replace the lines? Currently I have that valve shut off and the leak stopped. Do I run a risk of that valve popping with it off but the main shut-off on? the valve in question comes after the pressure regulator. What tools do I need to remove the copper rings and install new ones?

Any advice will be appreciated

Old 08-31-08, 04:18 AM
P
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Shut off the main valve to the house.Go to the lowest point in the house,drain off the pressure in the the line.Take that grey valve out( more than likely it is a Quest valve and line).Put on a good brass shut off,or good PVC valve.Turn your water on for the house,then proceed to replace the grey line with PVC.

Old 09-01-08, 04:16 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I agree with Pooh on the replacement, but there is no "good" pvc valve, so stick with the brass valve. You will have to replace the inlet pex with pvc unless you have a crimper ($120) and the rings. It would be a good idea anyway.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: