Outdoor Faucet keeps turning clockwise and counterclockwise

Old 09-03-08, 07:55 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Outdoor Faucet keeps turning clockwise and counterclockwise

I'm a new home owner and I went to shut off my outdoor faucet and turned it clockwise and now it just keeps turning. the water is off and to be on the safe side i've shut off water to the outdoor faucet. The faucet does have a metal tag on the handle: NIBCO FIG #52 Frostproof Sillcock. The good thing is that water isn't pouring out. I think when I went to turn it off I may have permanently turned it off. I hope there is an easy solution and one that doesn't involve paying a plumber. Thanks for any help or advice.

-James

Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-08, 04:21 AM
J
Is it just the handle that turns, or the handle and valvestem?? Usually the handle gets loose and the teeth(broach) that hold the handle corrode or wear off. The soft part os often the handle. If that is the case, you can find replacement handles at home/hardware stores that may fit or have set screws to hold them tight. If the whole thing turns, you will have to replace the hose bib.

Old 09-04-08, 06:35 PM
J
Yeah, its just the handle that turns, but i can't seem to get the handle off. There's a screw in the middle that I took out, but the handle doesn't seem to want to come off. I've pulled on it pretty good but it just won't budge, just spin clockwise and counterclockwise. I'm not sure how to get the handle off which seems to be the only thing is moving. Thanks for the help, I definitely appreciate it!

Old 09-05-08, 04:14 AM
J
Bib handles either have a broach(multiple teeth in handle and on valvestem), or a square. If either is rounded off, there is no easy way to fix it. But you could try something like JB Weld epoxy, and glue the two pieces together. That is amazing stuff, just make sure it only gets on the parts intended.