Hot Water Heater recirculation

Old 07-13-00, 07:02 AM
joverman
Visiting Guest
Would like to install a hot water recirculation pump into line with electric hot water heater--any plans or product suggestions. Would like to incorporate a timer with pump so that it is recirculating only at certain times of the day.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-00, 10:15 PM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Hi:joverman

An excellent idea. However, not a job for a doityourselfer, unless your a skilled plummer.

Best bet is to contact several plummers. This way you can get several estimates and possibilities.

Good Luck,
TomBartco
Natural Gas Energy Technician and Consultant.
Personal Quote:
"Without having experience or knowledge, common sense and wisdom often helps me to prevail."

Old 07-13-00, 11:16 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tom is right on several points. A recirculating pump on the hot water system is a great idea -- I love mine!!

But, unless you have a fair amount of plumbing and electrical experience, don't try to install it yourself.

Puting it on a timer is fine if you are on a regular schedule 7 days a week. But when I did mine, I used 3 spring loaded wind-up switches -- one in each bathroom and one in the kitchen -- to operate the pump. Much less heat loss through the pipes, thus lower utility bill for heating the water.

If you want to discuss all the particulars, e-mail me. Lefty