pipe connector sprung a leap and I need help identifying the parts.

Old 09-13-08, 01:17 PM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
pipe connector sprung a leap and I need help identifying the parts.

I have a leaking pipe connector and I took the pieces to a home depot ,but they do not carry these parts.
So if some one can help me identify the names of the parts and the name of the meter and valve it is connected to maybe I can order it online or from a plumping supply store.

The guy at home depot said I would probably have to get a whole new meter , which I cant beleive is true.

If anyone knows where I could get this part online please let me know.

Also could I use pvc or does it need to be the same material?

Thanks

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 09-13-08, 01:27 PM
looks like a pressure regulator valve to me, however as long as the flange is not cracked all you should need is a new rubber gasket, check with a good hardware store for different sizes neophrene washers. if not maybe a good autoparts house,
also look for a specialty plumbing supply.

if we're not supposed to eat animals why are they made out of meat?

Old 09-13-08, 01:35 PM
Z
Thanks for the quick response speed wrench!

Do you know what the part in question is called? it looks like some kind of coupler to me,But I would like to get the name of it and call around to some plumbing supply stores to see it they have it.

I am gonna go out and try to get a new washer as that was my first guess to the problem, but from what I can see the water actually looks like its shootin out from the copper piece itself.

for the time being do you think a hose clamp with rubber underneath it will hold the fort till I can loacate the part if it is not the washer?

Also,
if anone knows how I would go about measuring these pieces toget the correct size ,plese let me know.

Old 09-13-08, 05:26 PM
Z
I have come to the conclusion the brass is split on that piece where the water is shooting out. I tried a new washer with no luck , then I unscrewed the piece connecting to the pressure valve and held my hand over the pipe opening and the same spot shot out with water when I turned it on.

I tried several hardware stores along with home depot and they dont have this part.I would not be surprised if a plummer does not even carry this with him.

rite now we are just turning the water on an off whenever some one has to go to the bathroom , but I am worried that its just gonna crack to the point where it wont work at all.

anyone with some suggestions ,please help!

Old 09-13-08, 06:03 PM
There is no doubt in my mind that the fitting is split.

That fitting is part of the PRV. Can you get the make and model number off that tag on top?

I am surprised that the PRV is even before the meter. I worked for a meter installation company a couple of years back and after the stop valve should be the meter, then the PRV. unless that is how the water works wanted it.

Old 09-13-08, 06:27 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Looks like it is after the meter to me Mark....Isn't that the main house shut off to the right, and the breaker panels grounding wire?

Old 09-13-08, 06:46 PM
Unless I am hallucinating, ( which very well could be what is happeningFIO ),
I see the arrow on the PRV pointing towards the meter, and the bare wire, which needs to tied on as the pipe as it comes into the basement for grounding purposes on the other side of the PRV.

Mark, have you been dipping into that whiskey barrel again

Old 09-13-08, 07:28 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Haha....I think I may have been Mark.....

I was looking for an arrow on the meter......just notice it on the PRV.....

Old 09-13-08, 07:45 PM
No worries, We all make mistakes. Feel free to let me know if I make any mistakes
Beer 4U2

Old 09-13-08, 07:51 PM
Z
Thanks for taking the time to help out guys!

The red globe valve is the main shut off.
The plumbing is 23 yrs old, so I hope this is not some part that will be impossible to find .
I tried wolverine brass works in google and nothing is coming up.
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 09-13-08, 08:14 PM
I just went to wolverinebrass.com and wrote to them. All I can do is wait for a reply.

If you are really stuck, you have 2 options.
1 - replace complete valve
2 - call supply houses in your area (not big box stores), check to see if they carry wolverine brass and see if they have the female adapter on the union side of the valve. Probably will get no help until monday. The big box stores MAY carry a Watts 3/4" U5B, which is a replacement brand. But I am not sure if they carry it. I know the Orange store carries Watts, or at least used to, when I worked for them.

Old 09-13-08, 08:23 PM
Z
thanks alot for taking the time to contact them plumbing gods!

zim

Old 09-15-08, 08:36 AM
Z
I have been doing some digging and I found out wolverine brass works in grand rapids michigan shut down in 1986.
I wonder if wolverinbrass.com has any assosiation with them or not, since they are based out of conway sc.

Is there a chance that someone makes a replacement female adapter or will I need a whole new prv?

zim

Old 09-15-08, 02:15 PM
This is what I e-mailed to them

[SIZE=3]I have a customer with a 3/4" BFP with a cracked fitting. The female side of the union. Need help finding replacement parts. 5257 3A - ASSE 1003 - 25-75psi - ser no.74 I deal mostly with FW Webb and Granite Group. Please advise.

This was their reply

[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Thank you for your inquiry. We have a customer In Manchester. You might try him.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Charlies Plbg & Htg LLC[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]695 Mast Rd[/SIZE][SIZE=2] Unit #5[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Manchester, NH 03102[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]PH 603-300-0749[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Flip Whitney[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Customer Service Representative[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Wolverine Brass Inc[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]phone: 800-944-9292[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]fax: 800-945-9292[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]email: flip.whitney@wolverinebrass.com[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Maybe you can call them.
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 09-15-08, 05:34 PM
I dont know what happened there, but I think it is still readable. Basically all they did was give me a retailer in my location.

Old 09-15-08, 06:00 PM
you should be able to change it out with a watts prv the are such a better prv. plumberjohn6868

Old 09-15-08, 06:23 PM
Hi plumber john

I was trying to find just the repair part but to no avail with wolverine brass

Old 09-16-08, 08:52 AM
What you have is a flanged, gasketed union. Those fittings are not universal or interchangeable between brands. Even on the same brand, the union they use today may not match their 20 year old ones. Depending on the age of the PRV, you just might want to suck up and buy a new one.

Wolvering Brass is a brand which sells ONLY to licensed plumbers through their own distributors, so you may not be able yourself to get any parts from them. Not so many plumbers deal with them anymore either, so you might have to look around. But you can replace the PRV with any brand. I recommend you get a model with a union on both ends. You would have trouble unscrewing yours and screwing on a new one since it is so close to the wall.

Old 10-22-08, 12:45 PM
Z
Hey guys I had to break down and get the plummer at the time because the family was complaining, but ever since the new one was put in the water pressure has been low.

Is there somethting on the prv I can adjust?

Old 10-26-08, 05:58 PM
Z
bump, any help on water pressure?
Also , should the installer come out and adjust this for free since he did not go around the house after installing to check the pressure?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: