3rd floor toilet leaking into 1st floor kitchen

Old 09-17-08, 10:38 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
3rd floor toilet leaking into 1st floor kitchen

Hello. I am looking for some ideas on how to diagnose and repair this problem. I live in a 1926 Colonial with a finished 3rd floor. When the 3rd floor toilet is flushed it leaks into the 1st floor kitchen. There is a 2nd floor bathroom between the kitchen and upper bathroom. The 2nd floor bathroom does not have this problem. I started by replacing the wax seal on the 3rd floor, it was in great shape and a new seal did not change anything. There is an access panel to the pipes in the stairway to the 3rd floor. The toilet pipes all appear to be intact and dry in that area. I feel like the problem is in the waste pipes below the access panel and above where the 2nd floor toilet ties in. Unfortunately there is no access to that area. Is there any type of repair that can be done by running flexible tubing from the 3rd floor toilet to bypass the leaking joint/pipe? My only other option is to drop a digital camera on a string down into the access panel until I can get a decent shot of the problem area. That is a total shot in the dark (no pun intended) Even if I find the leak I have no idea on how to repair it. Thanks in advance.

Old 09-17-08, 12:40 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hello, and welcome to DIY

Sound like to me, you will be opening up some wall covering, as I think you have a cracked or worn pipe in the wall or between floors. Once you get a good diagnoses of the situation, let us know how we can help

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: