What am I missing here?

Old 09-21-08, 09:16 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What am I missing here?

I have a question about a bathroom rough-in for a basement bathroom. I am getting ready to start finishing the basement, and will be doing most of the work myself. However, I was planning on hiring a plumber to come in and do the work in the bathroom.

I had a guy come out last week and give me an estimate (yes, I am having a couple others come out this week for 2nd & 3rd bids). Anyway, the plumber that came out last week told me that the the way it is currently roughed in (top picture) would cost in the area of $2600 to finish with a bathtub, toilet, and sink. He said that a shower couldn't be put in with a simple move of the drain because they ran 1.5", and for a shower it would have to be 2 inch.

Then he told me to finish it the way I want to (bottom picture), it would double that price to around $5000. This is due to him having to break up a large area of concrete and re-do all the drain, put in 2 inch pipe for the shower, then re-vent the lavatory.

I asked if it would save for me to do the labor of breaking up and removing the concrete, and then replacing it when it was finished. He told me that would only save me $500 or so.

I guess my question is, what am I missing here? Why would it add $2500+ to change these things? Am I wrong that it would just be cutting and removing concrete, removing the 1.5 inch to the current bath drain stub location, re-doing the double "Y" to the toilet drain and then 2 inch over to the shower drain location, and the covering back up with concrete? Am I underestimating the amount of work to do this?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Irish

Current:

What I'd like to do:

Old 09-21-08, 09:32 PM
Busting up concrete takes on a new meaning to the job, but the statement of "just $500" sounds to me like the guy is hurting for work, looking for a meal ticket IMO.

Just find out what the other two guys want. I personally turn these jobs away because I can't stay in one place for that long a period of time.

Old 09-22-08, 07:31 AM
C
Received 119 Votes on 94 Posts
Check with your local inspector regarding the 1 1/2" drain for a shower. Code requires a 2" drain, but there is no reason a 1 1/2" drain won't work for a shower. The existing drain may be grandfathered.

If you are willing to do the grunt work breaking up the slab why not do the plumbing yourself and save a few bucks?

Old 09-22-08, 01:21 PM
Rough in plumbing

The international plumbing code states 2 in. is the minimun pipe sizeing on any thing under the floor or in the slab get your bids and make sure that they state that the price will not and can not go up without clarity of why have them put it in the contract. the 2800 dollar bid sounds like a fair price.

Old 09-22-08, 04:16 PM
C
Received 119 Votes on 94 Posts
John - I'm not a plumber, but all my sink drain plumbing under the floor is 1 1/2". Some of it was installed just 2 years ago, permitted and inspected.

Old 09-23-08, 01:22 PM
T
I have the same question... my house was built just 2 years ago also, and both of the upstairs bathrooms have 1.5" pvc coming from bathtub/shower. And then as I said above, when they roughed in the basement bathroom they just did 1.5" for the bathtub/shower drain.

I would pay the $2500-$2800 for them to do the job if it included fixing the rough-in as needed to do just a shower, and not a "shower/tub". But almost doubling the price to do that seems high to me.

Then again, that's why I'm asking... I may have no idea at all what I'm talking about.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: