Run PEX, but not in wall?

Old 10-03-08, 09:35 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Run PEX, but not in wall?

Currently we are looking into installing a wood gasification boiler as are main heat source.

House is oddly configured with the old farmhouse using an oil-fired boiler and the new garage/bedrooms using an LP boiler. Two water systems were never connected. Garage/bedroom loop is filled manually when needed.

Question is now how do we get there from here?

There is no easy way to put piping in walls or overhead walkway in the "cathedral" hall that connects the garage to the old house. We want to put the wood boiler in the garage and hook into the two systems. The existing heating appliances will be backups. Some of the contractors talk about very expensive opening of walls or ceilings. Others consider running buried for about 150' outside.

Doe they make raceways or is there another way to run PEX outside of the wallboard that doesn't make the good woman feel her nice house is now a boiler room?

Thanks for any help!

Old 10-03-08, 07:52 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 427 Upvotes on 380 Posts
I don't think there's any "silver bullet" here. Somehow you need to get a pipe from one end of the room to the other, and if you can't open the walls, you're going to see something.

I think your best bet is to hide the piping in some kind of woodwork. Crown molding, bigger baseboard molding, etc.

I'd imagine 150' underground around the house will end up with a lot of heat loss.

Someone with more heating experience may have some other ideas too. Good luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: