Gas Water Heater Goes Out Intermittently

Old 08-21-00, 11:48 AM
Visiting Guest
Appx. three yr old gas hot water heater had no heat, so I relit pilot, observed burner turn on, went about life. Somehow both burner and pilot went out again. On suggestion of Home Depot genius, I replaced the entire burner/pilot control unit. New unit got a good pilot, then burner. Worked fine for a week. Now, pilot and burner are both going out again. Note: Did not replace pilot tube assembly or lead to single use overheat trip. Pilot does light after cool-down, and burner does come on, and can be manually shut down by turning to vacation, then brought back up. Seems to only happen when it's left on for a good while. Then the whole thing just shuts down.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-00, 04:16 PM
Pete
Visiting Guest
Could be the thermo-couple. It's a little tube that goes from the gas valve to the pilot light. It's free end should be in the pilot flame. It's purpose is to sense heat. If the flame goes out, it shuts the gas off.
Sometimes they go bad and do just what you're saying.

Try moving the end of it to a little bit different position in the flame, or just replace it. You can get them at the Depot, or pretty much anywhere. Overall length is all you need to know (I think). Good luck!