Kitchen disposal is seized. What to do?

Old 08-29-00, 06:08 PM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

Our Mainline 2600 garbage disposal in the kitchen sink (five yrs. old) refuses to budge! There does not appear to be anything stuck in it. I have no instructional sheet. There does not appear to be anywhere to stick an Allen wrench or a reverse button. We get the "hum" that shows electricity is going into it, but that's all. There is a red button on side of it . . . but doesn't do anything when you hit it. What to do here . . . don't want to have to buy a new one yet! Am I risking my sanity if I unscrew the whole appliance from under my sink?

Robbie

Old 08-29-00, 08:26 PM
Pete
Visiting Guest
Hi. It's probably just jammed up. Try taking a big stick or similar wooden item and stick it down into the opening in the disposal, pry around in there until you get some movement. Do this with the switch off of course. If you can get the thing to rotate it should work. If it still just hums it's probably time for a new disposal. Hope this helps!

Old 08-30-00, 02:30 PM
sprky
Visiting Guest
hello robbie,
im sending this post over to the plumbing section, thy r better quilified to help u on this. look 4 further posts there

Old 08-30-00, 04:28 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
quote:<HR>Originally posted by Robbie Macintosh:
Our Mainline 2600 garbage disposal in the kitchen sink (five yrs. old) refuses to budge! There does not appear to be anything stuck in it. I have no instructional sheet. There does not appear to be anywhere to stick an Allen wrench or a reverse button. We get the "hum" that shows electricity is going into it, but that's all. There is a red button on side of it . . . but doesn't do anything when you hit it. What to do here . . . don't want to have to buy a new one yet! Am I risking my sanity if I unscrew the whole appliance from under my sink?

Robbie
<HR>

I like to take a basin wrench and use it to grab one of the propellars inside of the disposal to help umjam it. This way use have a way to twist the insides around in circles.

This works everytime for me, beats using the broom handle trick.

Best Regards Plumber2000

ww.atozplumbing.com

[This message has been edited by Plumber2000 (edited August 30, 2000).]

Old 08-31-00, 11:15 AM
Visiting Guest
Are you sure there isn't an allen wrench socket on the bottom of the disposal?

Old 08-31-00, 01:46 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
quote:<HR>Originally posted by John Nelson:
Are you sure there isn't an allen wrench socket on the bottom of the disposal?<HR>

Believe it or not, yes there are disposals out there that do not have the place to insert the disposal wrench, for unjamming them.

Best Regards Plumber2000
www.atozplumbing.com

Old 08-31-00, 09:11 PM
L
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
True enough, not all dispsals have an allen wrench socket for clearing jambs. But before you attack the jamb from the top, LOOK under the disposal. Dead center on the bottom you MAY find a place to insert the allen wrench and be able to clear the jamb from there.
quote:<HR>Originally posted by Plumber2000:
Believe it or not, yes there are disposals out there that do not have the place to insert the disposal wrench, for unjamming them.

Best Regards Plumber2000
www.atozplumbing.com

<HR>

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: