Testing HW Heater Elements

Old 09-03-00, 06:18 AM
Visiting Guest
Is there an easy way to test hotwater heater elements and termostats with a volt meter? The other day it put out incredibly HOT water for about half a day when used and now we have lukewarm water at very best! Thoughts?

Old 09-03-00, 10:02 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
This will be the thermostats that caused this, if you replace both upper and lower stats, this should solve the excessive hot water problem.

Best Regards Plumber2000
www.atozplumbing.com

Old 09-08-00, 01:46 PM
Visiting Guest
Regardless of Plumber2000's diagnosis, which sounds reasonable actually, before replacing anything I like to have information first. You should test the elements if you're inclined to. You'll need a continuity tester. If your voltmeter has ohms that will do nicely. Turn off the power and place one probe on each terminal of an element. The needle should sweep most of the way across the dial if the elements good. If you get little or no movement, the element's dead. But typically really hot water is not a sign that an element is NOT working.

gls

Old 09-08-00, 01:59 PM
Pictures of testing elements on a water heater.

Before touching the probes of the tester to the elements make sure the power is off to the heater. If the meter reads 9.0 or below then replace the element, above that should be good.

Best Regards Plumber2000
www.atozplumbing.com

Old 09-08-00, 05:39 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

Plumber 2000, as usual, nailed it. You have bad thermostat(s). Just to test an element, however, you need to turn off power,
disconnect all wires, and then check elements for continuity with your ohm meter. If you don't have continuity, just the element(s) needs to be replaced. (I am not an electrician nor a plumber). Just your average jake. lol. However, Good Luck!

Old 09-08-00, 05:57 PM
Hi Old Guy,

Just to let you know I have never removed the wires from the elements prior to testing the ohms, My ohm meter can test with the wires connected, All I do is make sure the power is off, never had a glitch with wires still attached to the elements.

The tricky element to test are the bolt in type, these can give a false reading just cause there the bolt in style, I hate tring to test these, only way I do test the bolt in type is to remove it from the tank all together.

Best Regards Plumber2000
www.atozplumbing.com

[This message has been edited by Plumber2000 (edited September 08, 2000).]

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: