Water leaking through bathroom floor

Old 09-07-00, 01:29 PM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

Four days ago while cleaning the guest bathroom I noticed water coming up through the edge of the floor -- the other side is our side yard. At first we thought it was coming in from outside since we have a sprinkler system, but then it didn't happen again for several days even we ran the sprinkler. Last night I flushed the toilet in that bathroom again and this morning we had water in the floor again. At first my husband thought it was a leaky pipe but now thinks it might be a leak in the sewer line. He is hesitant to call a plumber yet because of the expense and the dread of someone ripping up our bathroom to find the problem. Also, we're just not sure what company to call. Any advice you can give us would be appreciated!

Old 09-07-00, 01:42 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Take a flashlight and on the back side of the toilet and around the base, flush the toilet several tiame, you might find either the wax seal on the bottom of the toilet has lost the seal or the tank to bowl connection gasket in inneed of replacement.

Keep us informed of what you find.

Best Regards Plumber2000
www.atozplumbing.com

Old 09-07-00, 08:26 PM
L
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
This water is showing up on an outside wall. Where is your toilet in relationship to that spot? I would guess it is on the opposite side of this room. (If the water is showing up on the east wall, the toilet would back up to the west side of this room.) If it only gets wet when you flush the toilet, and the toilet isn't anywhere near the spot that is getting wet, I would guess that you have a broken main waste line, where it passes under the outside wall.

Old 09-08-00, 05:56 AM
Visiting Guest
quote:<HR>Originally posted by lefty:
This water is showing up on an outside wall. Where is your toilet in relationship to that spot? I would guess it is on the opposite side of this room. (If the water is showing up on the east wall, the toilet would back up to the west side of this room.) If it only gets wet when you flush the toilet, and the toilet isn't anywhere near the spot that is getting wet, I would guess that you have a broken main waste line, where it passes under the outside wall. <HR>

The toilet is on the same outside wall where the water is. The water is near the toilet, but not right up against up. Last night we flushed the toilet again to see if we got water again. This time we did not. In any case, my husband is planning to take the toilet off on Saturday and check the seal and a few other things. We already know it's not the tank to bowl connection - checked that.

Old 09-08-00, 06:50 AM
L
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Since the seems to be getting wet only when you flush the toilet, it is probably a waste line problem (leaky wax ring or possibly a leak in the 3" line itself). One other thing to check tho -- inside the tank there is a little (about 1/4") tube that goes from the fill valve into the overflow pipe. MAKE SURE that tube is attached at the fill valve and going into the overflow pipe, and that it has no leaks in it. Flush the toilet once with the lid off of the tank and watch it.

Old 09-08-00, 09:04 AM
Visiting Guest
Will check it out. Thanks very much for your help - we really appreciate it!

Old 09-09-00, 04:53 PM
Visiting Guest
OK, hubby has replaced toilet seal and so far, so good. Keep your fingers crossed for us - we sure don't need the expense or the hassle of a broken line. Thanks for all your help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: