Toilet on concrete??

Old 10-19-08, 07:17 AM
H
Received 8 Upvotes on 7 Posts
Question Toilet on concrete??

I need to reset a 1960's toilet on concrete, and predictably the old hanger bolts set in lead anchors are loose. I have the tools to re-drill the concrete, but was wondering if anyone has tried setting new bolts with two part epoxy rather than lead anchors?? It seems like this might hold better than lead, but there may be some pitfall that I am overlooking. This is a cast iron pipe with no closet flange.

Old 10-19-08, 10:13 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Smile Setting Toilet

Handyman663: Its a jerry-rig no matter what you use, the epoxy should work fine, but if the toilet was set straight to start with the lead anchors will have to come out and be replaiced with the new bolts.

They do make c.i. flanges that fit into the bare pipe, thats the way I would go, luck.

"If all else fails, read the directions"

Old 10-19-08, 12:49 PM
H
Appreciate the reply

I was not aware of a bushing style flange. I looked for a plastic one once and was told it did not exist. I much prefer flange mounted closets also. It just eliminates a lot of problems. Thanks for the info.

Old 10-20-08, 03:58 PM
H
One more question

I found a PVC replacement closet flange for CI today. It does reduce the pipe i.d. to 2.5 inches and that should be enough. It looks like I have to use a plain bowl wax rather than one with the neoprene horn due to the decreased diameter. Am I on the right track??

Old 11-02-08, 10:11 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
See if you can find an instaset closet flange, like one of these:

Frank Pattern & Manufacturing Inc. (209) 538-3251

You might have to chip a little concrete to get it in. And the wax ring w/o the horn is just fine - most plumbers I know prefer plain wax.

Old 11-04-08, 03:28 PM
H
Thanks Steve. Those flanges look like the real deal as opposed the PVC flange that I have already used. I have an impact hammer so I could have chipped concrete.

Can you elaborate why many plumbers prefer plain bowl waxes vs the horned variety. I am self taught and have set a hundred closets using horned waxes with no problems. However, I always like to learn something new and this board is fantastic.

Old 11-06-08, 11:15 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I've used both kinds of wax w/o any problem. The only reason I mention that plumbers prefer plain wax if from what I've seen on other plumbing forums. Some plumbers say that they've seen problems with the horn.

If the toilet is set properly I don't think it makes much difference.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: