Kitchen Sink Drain installation help

Old 10-19-08, 09:35 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kitchen Sink Drain installation help

I'm attempting to install the kitchen sink drain. I have a 2" PVC drain coming out of the wall through the back of cabinet directly in the center of cabinet. I purchased sink drain, brass dishwasher tailpiece, 2" pvc p trap with threaded elbow. I'm struggling trying to dry fit all pieces together. When I put the drain, tailpiece and p trap in, the elbow connected to p trap is about a 1/2" away from the 2" pipe coming out of back of cabinet. Also the p-trap is slightly higher than pipe coming out of cabinet - even when bottom of p-trap hits bottom of sink cabinet. How can I connect the p-trap to the pipe coming out of wall? I'm trying to install the p-trap going straight back to drain pipe - should I instead angle p-trap so it would be almost parallel to back cabinet? This would give me more room to work with so I could connect another pipe to back of cabinet.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-08, 09:58 PM
F
Received 34 Votes on 26 Posts
I think your biggest problem is in trying to use a 2 inch P trap. While the piping in the wall is required to be 2 inch for a kitchen sink the piping and P trap from the basket strainer to the wall connection is most commonly 1-1/2 inch. Using the 1-1/2 inch P trap should give you the necessary clearance from the floor of the cabinet.

It is sometimes easier to fit from the wall connection back to the basket strainer. You may need an extra long tailpiece (the vertical pipe from the basket strainer to the inlet of the P trap) or if you are using a dishwasher tailpiece an extension pipe. The extension pipe has a slip nut assembly on one end and it will need to be cut to the proper length as would an extra long tailpiece.

I would run everything from the basket strainer to the wall connection in PVC.