Hot Water Heater - Loud Noises

Old 09-14-00, 03:35 PM
Visiting Guest
Angry

You seem to give quick and very helpful answers.....thought maybe you could answer my questions.

Hot Water Heater: Ruud (Pacemaker)
Serial #1078M07704
Model #RP40B-38

We justed moved into a home (built 1975)..the hot water heaters make terrible noises (crackling, popping, banging) - it makes the MOST noise after using the shower (ie hot water) although it makes noises throughout the night. This house was not used much before we moved in. The water heater noises have actually gotten BETTER since we began using them all the time. I am afraid the water heater is going to blow up or start a fire!

Also, our childrens bathroom: if the sink or shower is not used for a day or two, the water comes out rusty for the first few seconds....then clears up. If the water drips...it leaves a rusty looking mark.

Are all the above signs that we need new water heaters or can we drain them? If this is the answer, how do you drain a GAS hot water heater and how much water do you drain?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Old 09-14-00, 05:34 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Rust color is a good indication of possible tank failure sometime soon, have this replace as soon as you can.

Best Regards Plumber2000
www.atozplumbing.com

Old 09-14-00, 05:53 PM
Visiting Guest
Pam:

There's nothing to be alarmed about, your hot water heater doesn't need to be replaced yet, it just needs to be descaled.

The rust coloured water coming out of your pipes FOR THE FIRST FEW SECONDS is from the iron piping between the faucet and the heater.

Phone A. O. Smith at 1-312-496-2521 or 1-800-265-8520 and ask them to send you a copy of their brochure entitled "Why, When & How to Remove Water Scale From Tank Type Water Heaters". This will tell you why your tank is making those impolite noises and how to get it to stop.

The brochure is made available for the plumbing trade, so tell them you saw the copy your plumber had and wanted one of your own. If they don't send you one because you're not a plumber, e-mail me direct at nkelebay@ilos.net and send me a self addressed stamped envelope and I'll send you a photocopy of mine.

What you have to do is use some acid to dissolve the scale build up at the bottom of your hot water heater. The procedure and the amount of acid to use is all spelled out in the brochure. A. O. Smith also sells a kit for doing it which plumbers use. Maybe find out who the A. O. Smith sales rep and distributors are in your area and get that kit in the mean time. It's called the "Flo-Jug Deliming Kit with Un-Lime".

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: